suggestions for a new d cam...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlid

AC Members
Apr 24, 2001
St. Louis, MO
i'm looking for a decent digital camera...
my budget is going to be aroud $500

if you have either of these cameras, comments would be appriciated.
and other good recommendations?

the two top choices so far are

#1 Sony- 4mega pixels, 3x optical zoom, $499

sony1.jpg

cichlid

AC Members
Apr 24, 2001
St. Louis, MO
oops...sorry this was supposed to be in general chat....

can somebody move it please :D

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
I have the Canon Powershot A40, it is an excellent camera but is somewhat under your price range, ($250.) So, all I can do is vouch for the Canons as I have heard, (and experienced, from my two different Canons,) only good things.

Another note of recomendation; whatever you get, buy it ONLINE. From ebay.com half.com even from an online retailer, which you can find using yahoo shopping. This can save you $150-$200 american dollars. Also, your sales tax, (unless you live in California I am sure they outlawed tax-free online shopping, or some other state I think New Mexico?)

If you need any more advice, just email me rocketman4874@hotmail.com

Also, you can see some examples of my Powershot A40's work on my website, www.geocities.com/rocketman4874/home.html

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
I use a Sony FDMavica... Not sure about all of the 'specs' but, it takes perfect shots... It was around $400.00 I think. ;)

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I have a Sony Mavica FD83 that uses a floppy disk and I absolutely LOVE it. My friend has the Mavica that uses a blank CD to record the pictures and is equally pleased with his.

In some ways the floppy disk storage may be a pain as it doesn't hold as many pictures as the memory cards, but they are cheap and will plug into any computer. I hated having to run cables to my computer with my first digital camera.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
Sorry -
But dont listen to ArkyLady

Your average floppy, priced at $1 each, (average) will hold, (once again, on average,) 2 Megabytes of Data. A normal picture, with low compression of data, (=High Quality, High Compression = less space but less quality,) takes up about 1 Megabyte. So you can store 2 high quality shots on your floppy, on a data device priced at $.50 a Megabyte. Or you can use a flashcard Camera, which offers a selection of Flash Cards anywhere from 4 Megabytes to 1 Gigabyte, or 1000 Megabytes. A 124 Megabyte Flashcard is priced at or around $30, so this is about $.25 A Megabyte, and is about a fifth the size and can store more than 120 HIGH-QUALITY pictures. As I used about 250 Megabytes PER-DAY when I visited Boston, so that woul be 125 Floppy Disks, and you would have to change them every two shots. Now, you get home and copy them to your computer - Maybe you dont have to connect any cables, but you do have to go in and copy 125 Floppy disks of data, which would take whereabouts of 3 hours, if not more, with a fast computer. It took me about 5 minutes to put on my 3 Flashcards, 250 Megabytes of Data, on my computer in Boston.

Sorry for the length, but I wanted to save you some misery later and figured it was worth your time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store