Mixing different light level plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Remmy

meow
Nov 16, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Can it be done?
I'm currently lightly planted with anubias, java moss and floating anachris in my 15g.
My hood has currently got a single 20watt daylight screw in CF.
If i were to upgrade my lighting to a striplight with 2 bulbs (2x15? maybe more) so i could try some higher light plants, would my low light plants suffer as a result?
Basiclly my question is, can plants of a particular light level still grow to be healthy when the light supplied is more than what they require?

any replies appreciated

oh and one more thing
What are the wpg cutoffs for particular light levels such as low/medium/high
I figured low is roughly 0-2, medium 2-4, high 4+ ? is that about right?

thanks again!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
They would do fine with an upgrade in wattage......probably better than they are presently growing.
The low/med./high ratios vary widely because in smaller tanks such as a 10 or 15 gal. 4 - 6 watts/gal. is not nearly as critical as in a tank of say 30 gals. and up.
In a 15(and these are my estimates), 1.5 - 2.0 would be low, 2.5 - 4.0 med. and 5.0 and up would be high.
Just my opinion.

Len

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I had excellent results with a double bulb shop light over my 15 gallon (40 watts of normal fluorescents).

Your plants will definitely be fine with an increase in light. However, slower growing plants like anubias are more likely to get algae at higher light levels. Also more light will mean increased growth rates. To keep up with this higher rate, you may have to add more fertilizer to the tank (liquids, fish food, etc)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store