blue ram help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Surge121

AC Members
Jan 23, 2005
I just got a pair of blue rams today and acclimitized them to my tank and everything, but they both went straight to the bottom and have been there for hours, the both are touching the bottom and the back end of their dorsal fin spazes out. Are they just stressed from coming back from the store? or is somthing else wrong?

BobDole

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
ya, same thing happened to me with my bolivians but after a day or two they were up and around happily!

Surge121

AC Members
Jan 23, 2005
thanks man i was getting worried. now they are slowly creeping around the bottom, never splitting up from each other... are they primarliy bottom fish or do they go everywhere? and what are some good tank mates for them?

Aderynglas

AC Members
Feb 4, 2003
Visit site
1 Plants - Blue Rams love plants to give them a sense of security. Don't worry they won't hide all the time but will colour up and feel at home :)

2 Dither fish - If you get a small shoal of smaller tetras (cardinals, neons, black neons or glowlights) you will see an amazing change in the Rams. With some tiny 'dither' fish they become very at home very quickly :D

Hope this helps
Regards
Polly

freeless2002

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
Homewood IL
Visit site
Surge121 said:
I just got a pair of blue rams today and acclimitized them to my tank and everything, but they both went straight to the bottom and have been there for hours, the both are touching the bottom and the back end of their dorsal fin spazes out. Are they just stressed from coming back from the store? or is somthing else wrong?

:) I just got mine and they are doing the same thing. I thought they where just cold ( my cat stepped on the protector and turned of the airs pumps and heaters).

Surge121

AC Members
Jan 23, 2005
thanks guys, one last thing, they put food in their mouth and they just just spit it out like 5 seconds afterwards, whats going on?

Last edited:

francheska

AC Members
Dec 13, 2004
NYC
Hi,
I bought a pair two days ago and they do exactly the same with food. I am a bit worried. I have a heavily planted tank and a school of neon tetras, so they weren’t hiding at all, but not only that, their behavior is the absolutely opposite. They are swimming restlessly up and down in one corner then in another. Then they start patrolling the front glass and they just won’t stop.
What is this?

F.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store