Convict tank mates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
What are good tank mates for convicts? I know they are territorial and aggressive.

Vitaliy

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I got a Red Devil and a Green Terror with mine, they can handle them. Green Terror backs away time to time but Red Devil dominates the whole tank.

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Yeah we need smaller fish that can stand up to the aggressiveness of a convict. My tank is 20 Gallons.

gsk177

AC Members
Feb 12, 2003
Sevierville, TN
Visit site
If you have a breeding pair of Convicts I would suggest keeping them separate.

If you must have the breeding pair mixed with other fish, I would suggest no smaller than a 75g.

Breeding Cons are very protective and can raise mortal hell in a tank with other fish.

Ive had Cons in a 55g, but when they start breeding, the poop hits the fan and everyone else suffers the wrath.

Ive never had any problems with Cons getting along with others as long as they are not breeding.

Novalee

Registered Member
Jan 26, 2005
Are there any good bottom feeders or inverts that work well in a convict tank?

stoneage

AC Members
Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
There is no certain answer to this question its often dependant on the temprament of the individuak fish.
I have a 100gal tank with a Convict(6inch), a Golden Severum(5 inch), a Salvini Cichlid(3.5 inch), a Pleco(7 inch) and a Rope Fish (7 inch). The convict is by far the most aggresive and he does tend to harass the Severum, he tries it on with the Salvini who although smaller is a vicious little beast who can stand off face to face with him if she wants. The Pleco and the Rope Fish are largely ignored because they are big and well armoured.

loucas6290

Lurking Since 2005
Jan 2, 2005
N8DOGG gave me 6 of the blue convicts he had, and i currently have them in a 36g bowfront, what good tanks mates should i get them they are all aobut 1/2 inch to one inch now, i am saving up for a much larger tank how big will i need to buy

stoneage

AC Members
Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
20gal is too small even for a single Convict, it will grow to 6inch in length. If you want to put small fish in with it try Danios or Sepae Tetra. Single Convicts tend to restrict nearly all their aggression against other Cichlids. From personal experience I can say these fish will not be harassed by a convict which is too slow to catch them, make sure they have somewherre to hide just in case.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store