the false SAE - a few Q's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
ok i know the true SAE is very hard to find, but i think i found some very young flase SAE's in my lfs - are they reputable aglae eaters like the true SAE? i'm interested in the ones in my lfs because i heard that young SAE's are algae eating machines - so i'm wondering are false sae's just as voracious when it comes to eating algae? any help in distinguishing the difference between real sae and false sae is appreciated as well - all i've been able to find is that i guess on the real sae the black band on their bodies run through thier tail while on the false sae it stops where the tail begins - the one's i've found have a dark black stripe with the bronze coloring above and below the black stripe and the black stripe fades into the tail but it's not really clear whether or not the stripe extends into the actual tail - they also have a reddish and yellow tint to their top fin at the tip -
thanks for any help

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I see SAEs around with some regularity. I don't think they're all that rare. If that's what you're looking for, I'd stick with it. They're out there.

This is a nice pictorial essay describing what you're looking for. The color in the dorsal fin suggests its not an SAE (clearish dorsals).

They may blanch at an LFS so the tail is a better guide. The stripe gets smaller but goes through. On the others it doesn't go through. Its not all that sort of. I've read that it may be hard to sort out on juveniles, but I've seen the bit with the tail on fish that were only about an inch long.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the link carp guy! i think what i saw was the false sae because it had a yellowish red tint on the fins - are false sae's the same as the flying fox? do the false sae eat algae well? also if any one has any pics of their true sae if they could post it i would appreciate it just so i have soem more pics to go by in my sae quest - thanks

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
No, the other types don't especially eat algae. The SAEs are the only good and continuous algae eaters in this group and they only eat certain algaes. They're also the most social members of this group.

Here's another good article on SAEs and the rest of the family.

And False siamensis are different from Flying Foxes. False Siamensis looks very similar to SAEs, except for the dorsal and the stripe through the tail.

Flying Foxes also have the line through the tail but really are different looking. They have a smooth stripe and a clean top. SAEs have a jagged stripe of black that probably has a light stripe above it, but it won't be as distinct or outright shiny as on the Flying Foxes, who have a straight metallic bronze line. SAEs also have an edging to their scales up top that gives them a sort of fishnet look. Foxes don't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store