Dither fish for baby severums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
My friend is getting a cichlid tank, and I'm growing a baby green severum for her. The little thing is very skittish and spends most of the time huddled up in the plants up by the heater.

I figured some dither fish would help it feel more at ease, but since I've never had severums before, I dunno how quickly they'd grow. I don't want to get tankmates that may become lunch in four months... Any suggestions? I hear the larger tetras are good, but I hear some of them are nippy...

Right now it's about the size of a postage stamp, in a 35 gallon with a baby bristlenose plecostomus.

Last edited:

DHR

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
New York
Visit site
Some of the tetras can be a bit nippy. Your severum should grow fairly quickly. I had mine in with some other fish when they were small, but can't really remember what. Mine liked to be able to "sort of hide", but be able to interact on their terms. If you have some kind of rock arrangement, or something of that sort, he may hide behind it when you come in the room, but if you sit by the tank, he'll probably play "peek-a-boo" with you, then come check you out. They can be characters. Also quite territorial. Mine are the "police" of the tank. Anything new, whether fish or rock, has to pass their inspection.

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
I've found that Tin Foil barbs are good dither fish. Their movements are a bit quirky but they do swim and bring out my other fish.

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
In a 35g tank, you won't have much room for tinfoil barbs or silver dollars...they get too large. Giant danios are smaller, but large enough to handle even a full-grown severum, at least in my opinion. Any of the rainbow species (except for the pygmy) would also be large enough, although much pricier.

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
I found some Odessa Barbs at a LFS- from what I've been told, they're not nippy, and they'll grow to a respectable size (about 2.5"). Would these be a suitable tankmate? I'm afraid of getting something too large right now, as I don't want him bullied.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store