Three questions about Emerald Green Cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meng-chieh

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Hi

I recently bought two Emerald Green Corys to add to my 20 gallon tank, and I have three questions about them.

1. What is/are their common name? I can't seem to find their listing in the species profile of this website.

2. Is it normal for them to play dead? One of my corys is lying on the bottom of the tank (sometimes belly-up), but whenever I think that it's dead and goes to remove it, he goes right back to swimming. Also, I've noticed that whenever I leave for a while and then come back, the fish has already changed spots again - so it's obviously moving.

3. What do they eat? I bought this pellet bottle that is labelled for bottom-feeders and invertebrates, but the pellets are around half a centimeter in diameter and my corys don't eat them (or for that matter, anything).

Thanks

Last edited:

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
http://www.myfishtank.net/freshwaterprofiles.php?profile=200

Specifically about emerald ones and tells why you can't find info I think. I have 4. I had 2 in a 2.5g with a betta. they were babies and kept the tank clean. Got 2 more and put them all in a 15g. They are schooling fish, and it was recommended that I have more than 2, but not necessary. the 4 are in constant motion sucking the tank, sky rocketing to the surface occasionally. Every so often they chill in one spot, but never belly up. Maybe yours has a silly personality. Perhaps something with the swim bladder (I was just reading info on that for bettas, may not go for cories). OR they are new and still getting used to their surroundings.

I went on vacation and came home to a 60-something degree tank (don't leave your windows open around season changes!) and the 4 cories were huddled under a cave. I thought they were goners along with the rest of the fish (who were huddled in another cave), but I tapped the tank, and they swam around, unhappily. they have also made it through big ammonia spikes, and the cycling of the tank. So I'd say they are hardy.

I feed them sinking algae pellets. Hikari I think. They have to fight off the other fish a bit, but they hold their own. They aren't agressive, they just want to eat and since there is 4 they can team together. I believe they eat bloodworms too- all the fish are so ferocious for them, that I can't tell if the cories eat them. I haven't met a fish that doest like bloodworms, you might try those. They are frozen cubes, make sure you thaw them well, cold food is bad for fish belly.

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
I have read that thr larger emerald green is not really a cory at all. Not sure, best bet prbably is searching the forums here or try a bottom feeder forum. I know my cories love any hikari sinking wafer, they go NUTS over omega one shrimp pellets, live mealworms that i cut in half and also, like previously stated, they all love the frozen bloodworms!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
"Emerald Cory" is its common name, however it isn't a cory (as my article that Lisa linked points out); it is actually the closely related Brochis splendens. I have several of these fish and really like them. It is not normal, however, for them to display the behaviour you mention and that signals a sick fish to me. They can be very shy fish and really are more active at night (which is to be expected from a nocturnal species).

As for feeding, I suggest Wardley Shrimp pellets or anything comparable brandwise, as well as frozen bloodworms and Hikari or Wardley algae wafers. They should get a decent balance of meat pellets and vegetable wafers. Many will enjoy eating slices of cucumber or zucchini as a treat.

They get *much* larger than true cory species and I've personally seen several that were 4" long...the largest of mine being about 3.5". For this reason, they should be kept in decent sized tanks. Schools are best and would encourage their natural behaviour to shine through (rather than always hiding).

While they can be relatively hardy, it must be remembered that they are a scaleless species that can be quite sensitive to changes in the environment, particularly medications, salt, and unclean water. A clean substrate (that is smooth) is a must for this fish as with any other cory-like fish to avoid barbel erosion/infection/fin rot.

meng-chieh

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Well that fish is now dead. But fortunately the other emeralds are fine - thus far...However, I still can't observe them feeding (it's been about a day or two).

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
meng-chieh said:
Well that fish is now dead. But fortunately the other emeralds are fine - thus far...However, I still can't observe them feeding (it's been about a day or two).
Cory cat are night time feeders. Sink some flake food for them before bed-time. They also love worms (frozen or freeze dried). You emerald cats are probably a color form of Corydoras Aeneus. A Brochis cat has a longer dorsal fin.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store