Mudskipper, anableps, and archer tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
I've had a brackish aquarium for three years, but this is something new to me.

I am trying to plan out a 125-gallon tank (72 in x 18 in x 24 in), and the initial plan was to go with freshwater. However, I did some research and discovered some old favorites.... I'd like to try a tank with mudskippers, anableps, and archers. Knowing the archers and anableps get to about a foot apiece, and most mudskippers are between 6-10 inches, what would be the appropriate stocking levels for these fish?

Of course, with the mudskippers, the entire tank would not be filled with water, and part of it would be a sandy area for them to pull themselves out onto (does anyone have a different idea for this so I may preserve gallonage within the tank?), along with driftwood, so this must certainly be taken into account.

I'd also be looking for some live plants to put in there (I've heard java moss will probably work), and I read that the area outside the water must be into the 70s in terms of temperature, what do you typically do about that?

I've got about two more weeks to plan this. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would go with either a pair of archers and a single anablep, and then 2 mudskippers. Still a pretty substantial load at adult sizes, especially with the lower volume.

I'd plan on a having the surface area 'hollow' underneath, with a fiberglass mesh that will keep the substrate from falling through and a power head to keep the water from stagnating. This will also give you a bit more water volume to work with, and a cool cave area for the fish to hide in. You could also have some potted plants on here with overhanging leaves for the archers.

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
Thank you.

I was concerned about the adult sizes, which was the main reason I asked. I anticipated an answer similar to what you gave me. The problem will be trying to convince everyone else who is involved that 5 fish in a 125 is the way to go. They seem to be convinced that we should deal with the bioload issue later... I disagree.

I like the idea of the cave and open area underneath the "land" portion... I'm thinking of proposing making it appear like a root tangle. I could even raise the water level a little bit higher to increase the water volume.

It would be great to provide a way for those archers to spit things down since we have 2000 crickets for a lab experiment and nothing to do with them! :)

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
The Anableps like shallow water also. Preferably with a gentle slope (which I had great difficulty maintaining - scoop and shoveled routinely) such that they can pick the right depth for resting. They are not trivial bioload either.

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
I read that somewhere (anableps and resting spots).... hmmm.... we'll have to see what I can come up with to make it easier on both the fish and myself.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Does it have to be loose substrate? Or would a sheet of plexiglass that had smooth pebbles and sand glued to it work? Then you could angle it easily without worrying about things sliding off, plus easy removal for cleaning. Don't know if it would work--just a thought!

a7oneal

AC Members
Dec 27, 2004
Three things....

I'm up for any ideas about how to create the "land portion."

What is the best way to plant mangroves in this set-up?

What is the best way to add other plants to the surrounding areas for the archers to shoot down the insects that will invariably be added?

If you know of specific web sites that DESCRIBE (emphasis, not yelling) the process, even better. I've seen pictures with a brief little "how I did it" but it didn't help. I even Googled "paludarium." We would like this tank to look as natural and aesthetically beautiful as possible (and be perfect for the critters, as well).

Thanks for your help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store