just lookin for fw moray info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Thor

Registered Member
Jan 18, 2003
Harmon IL
Visit site
i have a 29gal brackish tank. the 3 fish in it are a green spotted puffer/4" (the kind with the blue eyes), a striped rapheal cat/5-6"(i know hes not brackish but i put him in there when he got sick with some type of fungus and he got better and ive had him in there ever since and hes doin really good, and a "freshwater" moray eel/12-14". ive had the puffer and the catfish. i aint got a sg reading right off hand but im doin a water change tommorow. there are feeder golfish in there and snails for the puffer. ive tried to give the eel different foods but he wont take any. ive never actually even seen him eat the goldfish but ive had him for over a month now and there are more goldfish missin than what the puffer eats (he eats anything). but ive tried frozen shrimp, ghost shrimp, different types a meat, but the only thing im sure he eats is goldfish (he still looks nice and stocky and just seems really healthy) i would just feel better if i SEEN him eat something. i know they are nocturnal hunters but has anyone had any success with training theirs to take prepared foods

thanks

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I have never worked with Brackish eels in paticular but have gotten finiky saltwater eels to feed during daylight hours. We have a Zebra Moray at the store I work at that would not eat anything for 2 months and finally after working with it for 2 weeks straight it finally started eating. Now it is a glutton! I currently have a 3ft Zebra Moray Eel, 2.5ft Ghost Ribbon Eel, and 1.5ft Snowflake Moray. They all eat frozen Cocktail Shrimp, Fresh Scallops, and Crab Meat. These are some things you can try on yours. If it doesn't eat any of these then maybe the puffer is stressing it so it won't feed during the daylight hours. Check for any signs of bites on the eels body. Puffers are very aggressive fish and eels are a sitting duck target. Also what are water specs? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH. These could definetly have an affect on his feeding behavior. By the way, goldfish are not a good diet for puffers or eels. They have absolutly no nutritional content, and they should be fed bloodworms, brine, krill, freeze dried foods, that actually have nutrition for the fish. I have some 14 tanks at my house (ranging from 1 FW tank, 2 Brackish, and all the rest SW including puffers, trigger, eels, Angels etc and not one of them has EVER had any kind of feeder). Try and switch them off of the golds. It will be better for them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store