Question about A. cacatuoides

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gophersnake13

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
A. cacatuoides is known as the Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid and I was reading that they are a more easier of the Dwarfs to breed and I know that the site says that they are compatible with several species, ( I mean hatchetfish and tetras for my tank ) But could the dwarfs breed with tetras still in the tank, and have the fry live (or at least most of them)??????

Thanks for the help :)

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Especially with hatchetfish (which stay near the surface), and small tetras such as Red Phantoms or Ember Tetras, I would say yes. The larger tetras (Congos, Exodons, Emperors, Silver Dollars, etc.) might be more problematic.

In my opinion, these apistos are "easier" because they can survive in harder water. However, they are still very fussy about tank maintenance and it takes a lot to get them into breeding condition (in my experience). Good luck.

gophersnake13

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Thanks but I just wanted to make sure, because I was wanting to get a harem of the various phases of the species and was just wondering wether or not I could keep some other types of fish with them and still have the fry live,
On some sites it says they can and others that say you can't.

There is alot of differences between things like size and combatability that are different on sites

gophersnake13

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Would this combo work, and still have the fry live?

4 Cockatoo Cichlids (1 male 3 females)
8 Silver-Tip Tetras
10 Neon Tetras
4 Marbled Hatchet fish

This is a really big aquarium (30 long 12 wide 18 high)
And from what I read the tetras only get to about 1 inch, and while I have never seen fry in person, I don't think a one inch fish with a tiny tetra mouth could eat alot of fry especially with the good care that I have heard they give there fry.

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Yes , though it's a bit crowded for my liking. You'll be surprised at what effective micropredators tetras are.

I usually had a small shoal of 6 to 8 cardinals in the tanks I bred Apistos in

gophersnake13

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Hmm what about making it this arrangment:

Cockatoo Cichlids (1 male 3 females)
12 Neon Tetras
4 Marbled Hatchet fish

oztun

Fish Junky
Aug 29, 2004
I think this setup will work. I had a similar setup breeding A. Cacautodies. These fish prefer to spawn in caves. For my aquarium I went to home depot and found some slate floor tiles made with pure slate. I broke them up with a hammer and laid them out in the bottom making many caves. I also put some small flower pots in there.

They never used the flower pots, but the females each had an area down in the caves. The other fish never figured out they could venture down there. Also I put java moss all on the top of the slate for a place for the fry to venture to hide and eat. It worked fairly well for me.

I wouldn't suggest putting the bottom feeders in though. Apistos will spend all there time trying to protect the eggs from them and they are more likely to eat them then tetras and such.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store