Cons eating eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Astro4x4

Registered Member
Jan 27, 2005
Hi All,
I have a 55 gal tank and a lone pair of convicts. They have spawned twice since starting the tank but have eaten the eggs both times. The last batch lasted 2 days, they ate half the first day and the rest the second day. What is puzzling is that they stand guard and constantly fan the eggs anytime I'm watching them.
I haven't actually seen them eat the eggs, they just keep disappering while I'm at work.
Anyone have any ideas?? ??

TIA
Dave

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
My Rams have done the same thing. It is pretty typical behavior for cichlids to "practice" at spawning a few times before actually succeeding at it. Depending upon the age of the fish the eggs are usually not fertile anyways.

OxyBomb

AC Members
Mar 16, 2004
Visit site
dont worry about it. mine did that the first couple times. but then they got a bunch to hatch. but now they get eaten by the babies. sooo. but thats good. I need to get rid of some of mine. too many fish in a 30 gallon tank. but they are all still young right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store