Question about my Devil's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oorob00

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Southern Maryland
mysite.verizon.net
I have a Blue Devil(female) and a Red Devil(Male) that are in a 55 gallon tank. Currently they are seperated by a seperator. They were together without the seperator for a long time(about a year or so). Then i moved and they were put back together and still no problem. They actually mated and produced 3 set of offspring. Then I come home from work one day and the blue devil was missing some of the scales on her sides. I watch them for a couple hours after i get home while on the computer and find out the male is being overly agressive twards the female. So this wasnt a big problem i wanted to separate them anyways to keep them from mating again. I just went out and got the separator. So now here comes the problem. The female keeps trying to get to the male and the male keeps attacking her or they both lock lips and fight and the female always getting hurt. Is this normal and how can i keep them from fighting short of setting up another tank to separate them?

oorob00

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Southern Maryland
mysite.verizon.net
If you read my intire post i was looking for a solution other than another tank. but i do have a 220 but i am getting other much larger fish to put in that. I plan on moving them up to a 75 gallon once i get a stand and hood for it but until then i am looking to see if anyone else has had this happen to them before.

oorob00

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Southern Maryland
mysite.verizon.net
I never said that a 75 was a much bigger tank but if i leave one in the 55 and put the other in the 75 then that solves my problem but i am trying to see if anyone has another solution to as why these two dont get along anymore.

SnappingTurtle

Snapping Turtle
Jan 28, 2005
Portland, OR
"Bigger" tank probably won't help

These fish grow quite a bit and absolutely need to have a sense of personal territory. While adding a larger tank will reduce your problem, its going to take alot more than 20 more gallons to keep a male Red Devil in line (110+). He's named Devil for a reason and (believe it or not) wil continue to become more aggressive as he grow to full sive (which is big). I've never actually seen a mature red devil in a community tank because of this problem. Hollywood Aquarium, in my opinion the best aquarium store in Portland, Oregon has had a big male Red for years, all by itself in about a 100 gallon(approx) setup. The staff has to used tongs to maintain the tank and watch their hands when feeding him because he will bite their hands.
I think getting a 29 gallon for the female is the best option, if you're pressed for space. She'd probably do better in another 55 but a 29 for one medium-large cichlid is perfectly suitable. Or, if you can bear it, give the female away. The male RED is truly an impressive freshwater specimen. He's the meanest ******* of all the cichlids in my opinion, which is one reason he's so cool. Good luck

oorob00

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Southern Maryland
mysite.verizon.net
I am eventually going to put him in the 75gallon once i get a stand and a hood. Also funny that you mention about the red devil bitting because he has tried that twice while i was cleaning his tank but he just charged and the backed off before making contact.

oorob00

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Southern Maryland
mysite.verizon.net
BTW here are pics of them.

oorob00

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Southern Maryland
mysite.verizon.net
Also does anyone know why the females eyes turn from white to red. Also she changes her color from dark blue like in the pic above to a really light blue. Any reason for that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store