Belle Isle Aquarium Closing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Macromatt

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Clinton Township, MI
www.mattbaclar.com
The oldest public freshwater aquarium in America is closing. :(

Due to the city of Detroit not knowing how to manage money, they are closing the 101 year old aquarium.

This is a copy of an email sent to a friend of mine about it.

* The decision to close the 101-year-old aquarium on Belle Isle came after much thought and consideration. As you know, it is a wonderful old building with a fascinating past. The City of Detroit announced numerous measures to reduce a $230 million deficit. The closing of the aquarium will save the City over $500,000 in operating expense annually and millions in capital needed to keep the building suitable for animals and visitors. The Belle Isle Aquarium costs City of Detroit Taxpayers roughly $10 per every visitor.

In a way, City residents/taxpayers have voted with their attendance. Attendance at the Belle Isle Aquarium has continued to decline despite new exhibits like sea horses and salt water fish and several marketing and public relations efforts, including press announcements, partnerships including a major partnership with Coca-Cola, media shoots, celebrations which included a 100th anniversary party last year and special events. In 1995 attendance at the Aquarium was just 113,000 visitors, among the lowest in the country. In 2000, it was 86,000 and in 2004, 56,000 visitors.

Significant challenges are associated with looming capital costs to properly maintain the facilities and antiquated infrastructure for the animals and the visitors. This includes lack of ADA compliancy, public restrooms, roofing problems and more. Over $600,000 was spent just three years ago simply to repair the flooring infrastructure. Since the Belle Isle Aquarium is over 100 years old, the building had no additional space for retail or concession operations which could increase revenue. Further operation of the facility with significant capital investment might stabilize the physical structure for other use of this intriguing but small building. Several areas need major renovations.

The closing of this building is unfortunate, especially considering the outstanding conservation work that has been accomplished by a very dedicated staff. However, Detroit needs a much larger and modern facility as soon as possible; one that will offer the community as well as tourists great experiences and economic benefits for Detroit. Studies show that a state-of-the-art riverfront aquarium will attract one million visitors annually and generate $100 million in economic impact annually.

The new 150,000 sq. ft. facility could feature walk-through aquatic exhibits, like the Detroit Zoo's Arctic Ring of Life, as well as sea lions, sharks, sting rays, walrus, sea turtles, and many other aquatic wonders not possible at the 10,000 sq. ft, 101-year-old Belle Isle Aquarium.

The Detroit Zoological Institute continues to move forward with the development of the new Belle Isle Nature Zoo (BINZ). Several freshwater aquariums will be included along with signature exhibits of black bears, cougars, deer, and other native Michigan wildlife. Some BINZ programming for the public and community groups has already begun and the first construction phase of new exhibits will open this fall. When finished, the Belle Isle Nature Zoo will afford year-round unique educational opportunities for Detroit teachers, schoolchildren, their parents, families, and the community.

We hope you will join us in our quest to bring Detroit a new aquarium that will meet the needs of its residents and contribute to our growing community.​

I've only lived in Detroit about 2 years now and have been there about a dozen times. It is small, quaint freshwater only aquarium. I will miss this place. I can only hope the new one is nice.

Matt

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
Sorry to hear about this that does kinda stink - i would be pissed if the New England Aquarium closed in Boston

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
Having grown up in Livonia I am very familiar with the Belle Isle aquarium. The man who was the director there was Jim Langhammer. I belonged to all of the Detroit area aquarium societies and he was a very active member. He is personally responsible for introducing to the hobby many different species of livebearers, most of which you hardly ever see.

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
I just hope that they follow through with building a riverfront aquarium here in Detroit. I'll have to visit Belle Isle Aquarium one last time, I'm only about 20 minutes away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store