Types of light?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
I'm either going to buy a hood or a new strip light for my tank. What is the difference between the different types of light? I saw a compact strip light with lunar lights on Big Al's. What is lunar light for? I just need some proper light to be able to keep live plants in my tank and, of course, safe for my fish. Please help with terms and any suggestions on brand names and types of light.

For example this light on Big Al's is described as this:
This Current USA Satellite Power Compact Fixture is a single strip light which contains 2 SunPaq SmartPaq bulbs and 2 Lunar Lights. Lunar Lights are small LED's which sit in the fixture above the bulbs. The SmartPaq Lamp is a combination bulb comprised of 10,000K and 460nm Actinic. The SmartPaq bulb produces 3 times the output of standard fluorescent bulbs and has double the life (12 months). This model has one switch.

Do I need all that for Comets and plants in a 75 gal. tank? Or a 10 gal. with a beta and a few other misc. fish and plants?

Last edited:

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
compact lights works well for planted tanks. make sure the bulbs are for freshwaterplants and your good. the lunar lights are basically night lights for freshwater aquariums. they are used mostly on reef tanks to simulate lunar conditions and allows for nighttime viewing.

you should reconsider the 75 gallon. comets get too big for them and are cold water. most planted tanks will do better heated and the comets will most likely uproot all the plants in there.

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
Yeah it is best to keep comets in a pond or larger tank and about lighting I thing strip lights are best and most economical and I like the Coralife 50/50 bulbs were it has white and actinic blue and that is good for plants.

Archangel

Plecos, Plecos, everywhere
Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
Just some Aquariums/Plant bulbs from Home Depot for $8 bucks. Most bulbs you find in fish stores are designed for Reef aquariums, or for serious planted tanks.

Also, Goldfish and Plants don't mix well for the reasons stated above. Cold water fish: Warm needing Plants, and the Goldfish will uproot the plants.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Beeker said:
Do I need all that for Comets and plants in a 75 gal. tank? Or a 10 gal. with a beta and a few other misc. fish and plants?
The short answer is, IMHO, no. Satellites aren't cheap and for your needs that light is probably not necessary. I have one, it's a great light, but if I only wanted to keep a few plants I wouldn't have made the investment.

If you're thinking of getting a hood, it's important to note that Satellites are made for use over glass tops. They heat up too much to be housed inside a hood.

If I remember correctly, you want to keep some fairly easy plants (Java fern, Java moss, Anubias, etc.) For low-light plants, a shoplight underneath a nice looking hood will meet the plants' needs and look great, and will cost less than an Orbit or Satellite fixture.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
Thank you all.
Blinky,
Great memory! Thank you very much! :D
Do you know what the temperature requirement is for those plants?

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
AFAIK most of the commonly available plants will do fine in average aquarium temperatures (72-82F ish).
You've been working so hard getting ready for these plants, I definitely want to see some pics when it's done :D

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
I'm figuring on a strip light for the big tank. I already have the glass for it. As far as the heaters go, Big Al's brand heater is A LOT cheaper. But, is it as good as the Aquarium Systems brand? Which one should I buy? I have to buy one for a 10 gal and one for a 75 gal.

Blinky,
I will. I hope I don't let you down. :)
Thank you for all your help.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store