Bristleworm baiting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

janasleah

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Two nights ago I discovered what I think is a pistol shrimp in my live rock. Tanks is 5 gallons, been set up 3 1/2 weeks, no livestock added. I haven't caught another glimpse of him, but in trying to, I saw a monster bristleworm last night. OK, it's not really a monster, but this size tank it is! It was brownish gray about 6"; I watched it stick its head out of a hole in the rock and chomp off a "leaf" of my coralline algae! Then, looking around, I realized there were a whole lot fewer "leaves" than there had been. What else will this guy eat?

I also have tons of amphipods, and I watched one of them chew off the remaining coralline leaf, while another nearby attacked a small piece of red coralline. I like my coralline! Are my amphipods out of control? :sad

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Although I haven't seen any bristleworms that actually eat algae (there must be some, I suppose), I often see large nereids grabbing shells and pieces of debris for building shelters. I have, however, seen those guys nipping the occasional piece of mushroom for a snack. Some also say they will nip at large-polyped corals, but I haven't seen that myself.

Before someone jumps in with "but bristleworms are harmless scavengers," I should point out that polychaetes are very diverse, and some, like nereids and eunicids, have nasty jaws.

Regardless, I have never actively removed them. You can try panty hose with a piece of food to try to entangle and remove them, or (like me) you can consider them an entertaining part of the tank. The coralline will do fine in spite of a little grazing.

janasleah

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
I didn't see any antennae on this guy's face, so I don't think it's a eucinid (but what do I know? lol) It had a velvety look, with clumps of bristles sticking out every 1/4 inch or so, on both sides of its back. When it bent (in the light) you could see a metallic, multicolored look, like oil on water. It was kind of cool, but my son (whose tank it supposedly is) is grossed out. It was shocking, but it would probably be hard to catch without moving all the LR. I also hate to disturb Pistol; I hope to get him a goby friend after the tank's ready...

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Hmmm. Sounds more like an amphinomid, like hermodice or palythoa. I've never seen one pick anything up before, though.

What kind of pistol is it? If it's a hitchhiker, it may not be commensal with a goby. It's a fairly diverse group, in which species can be commensal with sponges, anemones, or nothing at all.

janasleah

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
I haven't gotten a good enough look at Pistol to see what kind he is; he stays pretty well hidden, and I've only seen him at night, inside a cave, so I have no idea as to coloring. Any ideas on how to lure him out? If I got a shrimp goby and they didn't pair, would they fight? My son REALLY wants a green clown goby, but those don't pair with pistol shrimp, do they? And I don't think this tank is big enough for two fish...("This tank ain't big enough for the two of us!")

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
A clown goby would not be a problem with a pistol shrimp. They will probably ignore each other. However, putting any fish in a 5 gallon is pushing the envelope, at least in my opinion.

If you come up with a way of luring pistol shrimp out, let me know. I have probably a dozen in my tank, some of which came in with a batch of rock 3 years ago, and I feel lucky if I see one for a few seconds every few months. They are very shy. If I didn't hear them, I wouldn't even know they were there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store