converting freshwater to brackish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
I currently have a 75 gallon tank with a clown knife, a pleco, green scat, silver scat, and a pacu. I was hoping to put some aquarium salt in my tank but im not sure how much or how quickly.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Your scats are BW fish. The others are actually the opposite--softwater fish. The clown knife & pacu will grow to 4 feet & will outgrow that tank. I'd find a new home for them (knife, pacu & pleco) & get another scat, as they will grow as large as your outstreched hand & are heavy waste producers.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
hey, why'd my reply get deleted? Anyways, I said the same thing as pufferpunk...

The pacu itself needs 300 gallons, thats more than 70 gallons :D

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Also aquarium salt won't cut it for brackish water. You need marine salt, same stuff used in saltwater tanks. And you will need to knwo what specific gravity you want first and get a hydrometer.

And yes, you will need to find a new home for the freshwater fish.

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
Oddball~ said:
The pacu itself needs 300 gallons, thats more than 70 gallons , thats more than 70 gallons :D
Really....since when??

And they would be much better off in a tank larger then 300g...it really depends on the dimensions though.

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
im screwed

I was told by my LFS that i could keep my pacu and scats together for awhile until they got bigger. i was also under the impression that the red bellied pacu would barely get bigger than a foot. i am actually planning on buying a bigger tank as soon as i get the money but that might take a year or so, but right now all of my fish are under 3 inches and i was told that as juveniles the scats could be kept in freshwater or low salinity brackish water. I also plan on getting rid of the clown knife eventually.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Why are you buying fish you can't keep for life? How can you be sure you can place a giant fish in a home that can house it properly? Please don't listen to folks just trying to take your money & do some research on the fish you're interested in, before you purchase them.

Red-bellied Pacu

CCchaos04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
ohio
bigger tank

Im already planning on getting a bigger tank for my living room. Thats where i will end putting my pacu and clown knife in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store