Mystery Snail?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Lastnight I went to get a new guppy, but my 3 year old insisted that she wanted a snail. So I also got a mystery snail. And it is a big mystery to me! I don't even know if I'm in the right forum to be asking about it! How do I know it is even alive? It is still plugged in its shell. How do I know it is getting enough to eat? How do I know anything?

Thanks!

elal

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Give it a day or two for it to start moving around. My snail took about that long to start looking 'alive', but now its always on the move

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Dropping in a piece of veggie once a week or so will help to feed the snail. Blacnh a pea or some zuchinni etc... and place it in the tank. You may need to weight it down. Snails will also look for left over fish food and even graze on some algae. If it is actually an apple snail then it my also start to eat any live plants you may own.

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Thanks. Sounds good. I have no live plants and already drop in a couple of smashed peas once a week for the fish...but I dont blanch them first. Well, I look forward to seeing it move...I'm sure it will thrill my daughter. :)

redbucket

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
you'll know it's dead if its shell is hollow -- that is, it doesn't have that little trap door on it anymore. if you can see inside the shell, it's dead. also, and this happened with one of my mystery snails, if its door is "hanging" off it, still connected to the snail's body, but just sort of hanging and floating, and your fish are nipping at the snail's body for a while and it doesn't move.. it is dead.. in this case it will also smell very "fishy" after you take it out of your tank and smell it.

that being said, my still living snail is very interesting to watch -- it will climb the tank's walls and then let go spontaniously, floating through the tank on the way down, climbs all over my rocks and driftwood.. very nifty. Definately a cool addition to a tank.

acocacolagirl

AC Members
Dec 2, 2004
Well, mine has now moved about an inch from where it landed when we put it in the tank, but I cant wait to see it on the glass and get to know it a little better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store