Sexing Blue Rams - Please help me PIC

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oztun

Fish Junky
Aug 29, 2004
Hopefully my attachments works... This is my first time posting a pic.

I bought two blue rams today hoping to get a pair. One had a very obvious black spot so I thought it must be a male. Another had very light coloring and black spot looked blue so I thought it must be a female.

Now that I have them home the one I thought was a female shows colors sometimes and I'm afraid I have two males :confused: . The one I'm sure is a male chases this one around and cause it to hide its colors so it looks pale. Male pretending to be female? What do you guys think?

I know its hard to tell but the one on the LEFT is bigger and the one I thought was male. The red on its face and bottom fins (Belly isn't very red) only appear when he gets real aggresive.

rams.jpg

Last edited:

cheekimeeki

jamie; founder CCTFFS
Oct 24, 2004
northern california
groups.yahoo.com
I'm no expert of Rams, but perhaps, like other similar type ciclids, you might inspect the dorsal fins for one. Some males have more lengthy and pointed dorsals, while fm is blunt. Males tend to be more brightly colored bodywise and have distinct markings about the mouth.

Another thought about the change in look from store to the tank at home. Lighting is different and also, as they are new to your tank, the colors may fade a bit til they feel comfortable at their new home.

Hope these ideas help...

~~~fish on
Jamie

oztun

Fish Junky
Aug 29, 2004
Dorsal fins appear very similar to me. The one on the right has more pointy fins but I think (if they are both males) it's because he is older. Can anyone else tell in the pic looking at the fins or colorings?

Thanks for the complement. This picture is bad and doesn't even do them justice. They are very beautiful fish.

valerie

AC Members
Apr 18, 2001
Edmonton, AB
I would say they are probably both males. The one on the right is a definate male and the one on the left probably is too(doesn't have the pinkish stomach).

Its actually fairly easy to sex rams. When i got my pair they were only about 1" and you could already tell them apart. Females will have a pink belly, their dorsal rays aren't too extended and they have blue specks in their black spot. Males have long extended first and second dorsal rays, no blue in their black dots and they dont' have pink on the belly.

Here is a pic of my female. Note the pinkish belly and her dorsal rays

And a pic of my male. Note his long dorsal rays and no blue in his black dot.

clayt101

Registered Abuser
The one in the back definately looks like a male to me. The one in front also looks like a male, but I am less certain of this.

oztun

Fish Junky
Aug 29, 2004
Ok thats what I thought, both males... I feel bad because the big one is terrorizing the small one now. The strange thing is at the LFS there were about 15 rams and none had pink bellies. Maybe someone came and bought all the females already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store