DIY CO2 Formula

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SKAPSYCHO

Skafunkrastapunk! Senior Member
Apr 14, 1999
Collegeville, MN
Hello,
I'd like to get some CO2 pumping into my 5 gallon tank. I cannot recall the amount of yeast and sugar needed... any help would be lovely!
~MJay

Bruddah Chrispy

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
Redmond, WA
Visit site
Aloha e MJay,

When I was using a 2-liter bottle my recipe was:

- Warm water to within 4 inches of top.
- 1c Sugar
- 1 T flour
- Shake that thang
- 1 t yeast
- 1/4 t baking soda

HTH

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
for a 2 liter I use about a cup and a half of sugar, 3/4 full of warm water, and a teaspoon of breadmaker yeast...lasts about a week and a half.

for a 3 liter I use about 2 cups of sugar and a rounded teaspoon of yeast.

gnome

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
S.F. Bay Area, CA
Visit site
Just so happens that I started up my first jello mix, today. I use DIY for 2.5-gallon and 5.5-gallon tanks.

Here is the recipe I'm working with:

1/2 packet of Knox gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of baking soda

Mix the above ingredients until everything is dissolved.
Add 2 or 3 ice cubes to cool the solution and pour into small plastic soda bottle (~590 mL?).
Refrigerate until set.

Dissolve pinch of baker's yeast (~1/16 tsp) and pinch of sugar in small amt of water and add to bottle.
Fill with more water up to "shoulder" of bottle (3" below mouth).

I'm giving it a day or two to get started before I replace the old mixes with these. Hopefully, these will last longer and run more steadily. Even my non-jello mix lasted a good 5-6 weeks. Just be careful not to go heavy on the yeast.

If this post is still active in a week, maybe I'll give an update on how the jello mix is working out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store