"floor plans"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mindtonic

AC Members
Nov 15, 2004
Easton, PA
I'm planning on setting up my new 75 gallon as a planted tank. I'm almost finished saving the cash for the lights, substrate, and CO2 system, so I'm starting to think about what plants I want and how I should lay them out. I've never done a planted tank before, and I'm in love with the idea of a vibrantly planted tank, full of color and contrasts, but since I've never done it before, I'm not really sure how or where to begin.

I was wondering if anybody knows of any online sources or "how to" books that might offer planting suggestions for a plant this size--complete with what plants to buy and where they should be located in the tanks--a floor plan, if you will. I understand that originality will be thrown out the window, but with my first planted tank, I'd prefer it to be visually pleasing as opposed to a jumbled mess of random plants.

Thanks.

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
First thing, get the substrate right. 2 inches of flourite, then another 1-2 inches of what ever colour gravel you fancy. Or ofcourse, you could just go 3 inch of flourite, which is availible in two colours!

mindtonic

AC Members
Nov 15, 2004
Easton, PA
Thanks Mooch, I already earmarked the money for a full flourite substrate. I plan on using compressed CO2 and to have 2-3 wpg.

Any suggestions on the floor plan?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
The Aquatic Gardner's Association has some really nice entries from previous contests with accompanying layouts. The Showcase section begins here and their main page is located at this link. There are a lot of great photos there and keep in mind, a lot of those plants are fully matured and such, so you may try the same layout and it may look much thinner. Hope the Helps.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
That site is probably about the best thing going - every entry has pictures from all angles, a full tank shot, and a plan view of the layout which is exactly what it sounds like you're looking for :D

I've got a book called 'Aquarium Designs Inspired By Nature' by Peter Hiscock (Published by Barron's, ISBN 0-7641-5549-0). It has pictures and detailed layouts for biotope tanks - Chinese mountain stream, Central american river, European lake, Amazon forest, Caves, Southeast Asian swamps... it's a fun book :)

I recommend the AGA site over books, it's incredibly inspiring, and free!

mindtonic

AC Members
Nov 15, 2004
Easton, PA
Thanks for the suggestions. Those tanks look great! Do you think that I am biting off more than I can chew by starting with a tank like that or would a beginner like myself be better off starting simpler and learning the ropes?

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I think no matter how you start you'll learn as you go.

The thing that really helped me when I started and continues to help me as I learn is reading - old posts, other forums, articles on line, books, even random Google searches. I read everything I can get my hands on.

It sounds like you're setting yourself up for success by doing research right from the start. I'd just continue to do research and once you feel you've got a handle on things, dive in. Any time you have a question, just post here and you'll get lots of help - there are some people on AC with so much knowledge and experience it makes my head spin :)

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
I don't think you're biting off more than you can chew. Research is key, as Blinky already pointed out. The tank in my sig is my very first planted tank ever and my first tank in 15 years. It's only been set up since December and it is already filling in nicely. I am learning as I go. I picked easier plants that weren't as demanding to start off with, to get into the routine of a planted tank. Ferts, CO2, lights, cleaning, all of it really is just a routine. I think the real key is just patience and a willingness to devour information.

At any rate, you're not biting off more than you can chew if you read up on each individual plant, find out what its needs are, and then meet those needs if you choose to use that plant. It really is as simple as that.

mindtonic

AC Members
Nov 15, 2004
Easton, PA
Thanks for the words of encouragemnet. I've been lurking here, reading the forums religiously since November, and trying to cram as much information into my head as I go. I've been fighting the urge to set my tank up, cycle it, and add my fish, but I realize that in order to have the type of tank I want, I've got to be patient and save for the equipment I know I will need.

I'm sure you all will hear a lot more from me once I get started.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store