Ghost Shrimp, Dwarf Crayfish, Cleaner Shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
So far all the research I've done proves that they'll be excellent additions to my tanks. But I have a 3.5 gallon all planted tank with an all sand bottom, to which I would like to introduce some Ghost Shrimp, Dwarf Crayfish, Cleaner Shrimp. I'm not to keen about the cleaner shrimp, but I've read that the ghost shrimp and Dwarf crayfish do better and more well in cooler waters, and the small tank i want to put them in is at a steady temperature slightly lower then tropical waters, as the light is enough to heat it.

MY QUESTION: Do these guys need filters to breathe and create surface irritation? Or would weekly or twice a week water changes be enough??
the top of the tank is covered, but with a mesh, so oxygen can freely get in.

Would the shrimp be okay with bottom feeders like yo yo's and Zig Zag Eels?
Would my curious mollies mess with them/eat 'em? How are they with dwarf frogs/ red belly newts?

Sorry for asking/typing so much, but these shrimp, from what I know sound to good to be true. any reply woul dbe helpful, thank you.

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Yo_Loach said:
So far all the research I've done proves that they'll be excellent additions to my tanks. But I have a 3.5 gallon all planted tank with an all sand bottom, to which I would like to introduce some Ghost Shrimp, Dwarf Crayfish, Cleaner Shrimp. I'm not to keen about the cleaner shrimp, but I've read that the ghost shrimp and Dwarf crayfish do better and more well in cooler waters, and the small tank i want to put them in is at a steady temperature slightly lower then tropical waters, as the light is enough to heat it.

MY QUESTION: Do these guys need filters to breathe and create surface irritation? Or would weekly or twice a week water changes be enough??
the top of the tank is covered, but with a mesh, so oxygen can freely get in.

Would the shrimp be okay with bottom feeders like yo yo's and Zig Zag Eels?
Would my curious mollies mess with them/eat 'em? How are they with dwarf frogs/ red belly newts?

Sorry for asking/typing so much, but these shrimp, from what I know sound to good to be true. any reply woul dbe helpful, thank you.

A question of my own - what do you mean by "cleaner shrimp"? I assume that this is a freshwater Palaemonid of some sort. (Sold, perhaps, under the heading of "glass cleaner shrimp"?)

I would certainly suggest filtration - though the bioload of said species is virtually negligible, freshwater crustaceans (to generalize) are relatively sensitive to water parameter fluctuation; the species you mentioned would not benefit from stagnant water (though such a setup is conceivably within the realm of possibility, especially if the tank was densely planted).

Unfortunately, loaches and "eels" would likely consume any "bite-sized" crustacean - shrimp comprise a fundamental portion of their natural diet - as would the newt (not having had personal experience with this last creature, I cannot make pronouncements with any great certainty). I see the potential for mollies to 'pick at' and harrass shrimp, but very little predation risk, per se. Dwarf frogs would, likewise, stalk your shrimp but, in all likelihood, be unable to capture them.

Last edited:

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I have two Amano shrimp in my tank (as well as a few other fish) and there is 0 surface agitation. I change 30% of the water weekly. No problems.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
Ok thanks you, well my tank IS densly planted, and i'm adding a few small hiding places, and making a pre dug burrow by the glass so i can see them. I'll give it a try with no filtration, if they arent doing well, i'll move them to a filtered tank and put a betta in it.
Thank you Veneer and Matak for the replies, they were very helpful.

and Veneer as for cleaner shrimp I mistook it with the Amano Shrimp. In the article I was reading they mentioned it to be sometimes known as a freshwater cleaner shrimp.

In the End i've decided i'm getting a few ghost shrimp, and or rainbow shrimp (preferably rainbow) and definetly some amano shrimp if I can find them, because the sole reason i wanted some shrimp is to keep my tank clean so i can use it for a quarintine and right now im using it to make my plants take root before putting them in my larger tank. So im going for some amano shrimp. Thank you again!

twdockery3

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
yoyos like ghost shrimp

I realize that this is my first post and that you probably already got the shrimp, but from my own experience most yoyos like ghost shrimp and will slowly eat them up over the course of a month even in a densly planted tank. I'm not sure about Amano shrimp but for the price they go for here I would not risk them. As for filtration I have kept them in 5 gallon buckets with nothing but java moss and they proliferate quite readily.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
Hi, no i did not yet get the shrimp as the tank is finishing cycling tonight.

and No, I dont intend to get the shrimp for the same tank my yoyo's are in.

I have a 15 galln the yo yo's are in along with many other fish, and a 5 gallon with dwarf frogs and newts and some neons, and a 3.5 gallon quarintine-ish tank i'm using to heal some plants, and I just wanted to keep the algea low in it, plus shrimp are really cool and wouldnt mind having some,

As for prices, my lfs has gohst shrimp at 5 for a dollar, because i think he breeds them himself, so i'll buy 10, put 4 or 5 in my 3.5 gallon, and give the rest in my 15 gallon tank, the yoyo's can have what they catch as a treat, and if the other guys find some hiding spots and survive I will congradulate them and let them thrive.

As for amano's, i thought they werent any more then 4 bux? if even that?
Im going to go research some prices,

thanks for sparing me your first post ;) and i guess i can keep them without filtration, so thats good, as my tank is oddly shaped, there arent filters for it.

if you think i shouldnt risk getting them simply because of the yo yo's its ok, not in the same tank, otherwise what could I do to make it suitable for them? thanks

twdockery3

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
Well all i did was put java moss, some small caves made with rocks and a small piece of drift wood. Occasionally I would feed them flake food and rusted pieces of lettuce. This produced enough new shrimp that my yoyos never went wanting. As for prices here, ghost shrimp are about the same but Amano's are very rare and cost 8+ dollars. I realize that I could order online for much less but I would rather not. Pretty much the easiest aquatic animals to keep alive, besides snails. Hope that helps.

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
Yes it helps a lot. I guess i'll breed 'em or try to! good little treat, as long as its free ;)
will other loaches eat 'em like clown loaches, and bottom feeders like cory cats? thatd be nifty. Ill build some hiding spots out of spare aquarium decor. I'll look into getting some java moss depends of cost etc. If i see some amano shrimp ill get some, if they arent 8 bux. Yah i dont like online purchases either, risky.

twdockery3

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
Yes other loaches will eat them but I don't think corys will. Depends on the fish though because I have two swordtail brothers in the same tank and one likes to eat them while the other just ignores them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store