Live Rock and Protein Skimmer only???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Siouxish

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
I'm planning a fish-only 75g Saltwater tank and am trying to determine what the best filtration setup should be. I've read that some recommend live rock and a protein skimmer only, no wet/dry.

What are your thoughts on this?

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
I am currently setting up a fish only set up and I have -

2 power heads for water movement, you need to turn the water over atleast 10 times in 1 hour.

1 glass heater

3 lengths of the tank of flourecent lights

No protein skimmer, but it is advisable that you do, but i am saving up for one.

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
Yes its possible to go without a skimmer, for example i dont use a skimmer in my aquarium, but i know how to manage water chemistry and balance bioload, which would be hard for someone just starting out.

Dale W.

Formerly known as "Reefscape"
Oct 7, 1998
Koloa, Kauai, Hawaii
www.TheKOR.org
A lot of people are going skimmerless these days but for a fish only aquarium with live rock, I would add one. What type of fish are you thinking about? This will also determin what kind of filtration you will need. Also concider good lighting. YOu dont have to go extreme but you should have enough lighting to sustain your rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store