strange smell persists. now barbs are acting strange

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

itswoodie

AMMAGAD IMA NEWB
Jan 31, 2005
Philadelphia
search.ebay.com
Well if anyone read my last post, you will know that my week-old 20gal tank has been giving off some foul odors. I was told this could be on account of a few reasons, the most likely of which is new bacteria settling in.

While I guess this is good because it means my tank is going through the cycling process, I am starting to have another issue.

My rosey barbs have started to act quite eradict. :sad

I woke up this morning to the smaller one hiding in a corner (something it has never done...ever). And the other larger one has been swimming up and down in a corner over and over again... :confused:

Could whatever be causing the smell be causing this eradic behavior? Or could it be something else? Also, what options do I have to fix this? I'd like to avoid chemicals, but I will do whatever it takes.

Once again I am turning to you guys to help me figure this out. As always, any insight/solutions would be highly appreciated.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
I would suggest that the erratic behaviour is caused by the build up of ammonia that's probably responsible for the stink. Do you have an ammonia test?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Well, in the other thread about the smell I asked if the smell had an ammonia kind of smell to it? You said it smelled like a boys gym and, well, sweat has ammonia in it. And, again, I ask, do you yet have a test kit? If so, please test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Also, there is no reason you cannot do a 50% water change right now and follow it up with yet another 50% water change. If ammonia is building up to toxic levels in your tank, it could cause fish to behave strangely. Better safe than sorry, I would say. Go for back to back 50% water changes if you can't test it. And then, when you're done, buy a test kit.

Sarifanlord

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2005
Hi new to these forums but i have yet the same problem with my tank only the way i could describe this smell is eggs meets fertilizer, I'm doing a 70% change on my tank but my filters reak of the dreadfull smell should i change them or soak them with water ? There brand new filters btw.

Last edited:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Sarifanlord said:
Hi new to these forums but i have yet the same problem with my tank only the way i could describe this smell is eggs meets fertilizer, I'm doing a 70% change on my tank but my filters reak of the dreadfull smell should i change them or soak them with water ? There brand new filters btw.
Is this a new set up? If so, please read the sticky thread in the Freshwater Newbie forum title Cycle. It's very important to understand what is going on with your tank right now. Also, I would not change the filter. If you do anything, rinse it gently in some tank water you take out of your tank at a water change. The reason I say this is because bacteria have to grow on your filter media in order for your tank to cycle. That means beneficial bacteria that handle ammonia and convert nitrites into nitrates need to grow in order for your fish to survive long term. You can wipe down the filter itself, but the foamy, spongy, wolly stuff needs to be gently rinsed in old tank water, if you do anything at all to it. Do not rinse it under the sink as the chlorinated water will kill the bacteria.

Sarifanlord

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2005
Well guess i'm kinda in a bind then,My tap water actually is fed from a well not a city though no chlorine,The filter and setup is actually kinda new,I've had the tank quite a while and the fish was new and was in it without a filter for a few days, then i had got one.And I guess i was overfeeding him,It made the tank smell,It's only a 10 gallon tank.

The fish is a Goldfish,Comet, only bad thing is i had to do a full water change, and I didn't rinse the filter with old tank water.Was tap :( But my water being from a well thought maybe would be differen't.But now that I know this is bad to boot Then I learn from that,Hope my fish will be ok :sad

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Hmm, interesting. It might be all right. If anything, it only set you back a few days, if it's a new filter. While a tank is cycling, you can do daily water changes up to 50% and it won't hurt anything. Of course, that tank has been set up quite a while, so I think you're okay. The gravel and decorations will also contain the good bacteria. All you're really doing right now is seeding the filter. The smell was likely from the overfeeding. Decomposing food will give off ammonia. So, feed a little less and keep that tank clean (goldfish can be messy!). Also, filters, when seeded do have kind of an earthy smell to them. It's a little more pronounced when they are new. I think you're probably in good shape.

Sarifanlord

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2005
Ahh ok thanks,I was feeding him 2-3 times a day,Not good i guess,Cause the carbon insert was black,Worse then when it was bought.

But didn't know food gave off ammonia,Hmm i guess people do learn something new everyday, (Very new to fish) Got tried of most pets thought i'd try fish,Seem to be alot of work though.

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
water that comes from a well can have some problems such as sulfure and calcium and I would suggest taking a sample of tap water to your local water company for a test.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store