Anyone ever kept a flounder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
My LFS has a flounder for sale and I was thinking of getting it for my tank. It's about 4-5 inches in length, a coralish white/gray speckled color (one one side) and I think white on the other. It has these things all around it like little fringes. It's flat with it's eyes on the top. The LFS said it would probably be good for my tank cause it would help stir the sand. They also said they are easy to care for so I'm wondering if any of this is true? Any advice? I am thinking I may go back and get this fish but I want to see what's involved. Any info?

It's a 40g long tank with a small lionfish (about 4inches-without the finage) in there at the moment and a coral beauty (3 inches) and a squirrle fish (3-4 inches). There are some polyps, mushrooms and green star polyps (I believe that's what they are) umungst my rock. I've got a skimmer and small powerfilter on there to help with the filtration.

Sp. Grav. = 1.023
Temp. = 76/77 degrees f.
pH = 8.2
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 0
ammonia = < 0.25

Those are current as of right now (I just did them before posting this)

TinaFishGirl

Trigger Lover
Nov 12, 2004
Gig Harbor, WA
Hi,
yeah I am getting one in a couple weeks. The research that I have found is that they are docile and easy to care for. I don't think a 40 gal is big enough though. I have seen them at our local aquarium and they were about 3-5 feet long. The thing is I haven't found how long it takes to get that big. It may take ten or twenty years. They are scavengers so they eat a ton of variety. How much is the one you found?

FloridaBoy

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
Well my friend, you have two marine families lying around out there; Bothidae are left eyed flounders and Pleuronectidae are (you guessed it) right eyed flounders. These guys are born normal, later to go flat at which time one eye slowly migrates to the same side as the other eye! (still one of God's better fish tricks) As an aquarist I would suggest you avoid this little beast; they get quite large, not halibut size mind you, but depending on the species 24 inches is common. Since you already have over 10 inches of fish mass in your 40 gal, a food fish is the last thing you need. On the other hand, as an angler, I find them fascinating, voracious ambush predators with nasty teeth and the attitude to go with them. They leap out of the sand and gulp shrimp, small fish, anything that moves. If this info doesn't convince you, go rent the 1986 movie release of "Little Shop of Horrors" with Rick Moranis and Steve Martin. (Feed ME!!!)

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
When I go diving I see a lot of flounders. I sure wouldn't want one in my tank. They can get quite large, especially for a 40 gallon tank. Plus they need a huge sany area to bury themselves in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store