Whats so good about common fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Hmm... no really... I would like to know. Why would poeple who are not newbies want to get common fish? Wouldnt you want someone see your tank and say how kewl is that? or "I seen that fish before when I was 5?

Fish like the neon tetras, rosy barbs, tiger bars, and the countless others that are SO EASY TO GET. Whats the need to get these types of fish? I would assume people would get the harder to get type fish instead? Yes, I have a redtail shark. One or two are ok. But to have a tank FULL of common fish? I dont see the point really.

My advice to people: spend a little more money and get good quality fish!

Last edited:

carfey

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
"Common fish" are most often fairly easy to take care of and they are suitable for community tanks. They usually look pretty good too. It's mainly these good qualities that make them common fish.

There is nothing better about a hard to get fish than a common one. I don't see why other people having the same fish would make yours less enjoyable. I do understand the feeling of wanting to try something new and rare though. :)

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
Good "quality" fish? What exactly are you in the hobby for? You can't tell me the entire purpose of you being in the hobby is to get rare "items". If it is, why get fish? Collect stamps...they're much easier to keep alive.

Wouldnt you want someone see your tank and say how kewl is that?
Have you ever seen the tank at the Baltimore aquarium? There are no vastly rare fish. There are rummynose tetras or something, there are some discus, there are some cories, and some other things. Are any of them very rare? I'd probably say not. Does the tank draw attention? You bet. You dont' have to have the rarest fish in the world to make a cool tank. Just make it look "pretty".

Moreover, people are all in the hobby for different reasons. I started off last year with 2 platies in a 10 gallon tank. Now I have a 125 gallon tank with an oscar, jack dempsey, 3 silver dollars, and a pleco. I also have a 58 with a midas. None of these fish are rare. That doesn't mean they don't give me pleasure. In all reality, rarity of a fish is a relative thing. A fish that is rare in one area of a country, region, or even state might not be rare in other areas.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
The ease of taking care of fish, is not the same thing as a common fish. A Common fish is a fish that can be bought at any fish store pretty much. Also, tend to be less expensive. Common fish, I think, lowers the quality of the tank. Once you know how to take care of fish...why stick with the common fish?

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
Since when are any pets about having the "coolest" pet? I thought most people kept pets because they give them enjoyment. If you enjoy a tank full of guppies...that's great, enjoy them. If you have to spend big bucks on rare fish to enjoy yourself, then I guess that's your own problem.

I think another thing to keep in mind is that most people start off with something between a 10G and a 30G and that definitely limits your ability to keep that "kewl" arowana.

I personally like my all of my fish and they give me a lot of pleasure...and I can't think of any of them that are the least bit rare.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
Well first of all I think it is a pretty stupid topic to start of with. The answers as to why a lot of beginners go for common fish are so obvious,
1. Availablility, many people don't have access to LFS that stock
exotic species. I'm lucky where I live there are is a lot of access
to rare species. I've seen posts where people have to drive
hours to find a LFS.
2. Price. How many young beginner aquarists can afford to go out
and buy a tank full of imported Paratilapia in Australia?
3. Knowledge. Many aquarists and LFS have greater knowledge
of common fish which they can pass on. However, with rare
species, one finds himself having to go and research to find
water parameters and breeding requirments. A lot of trouble
for the beginner. Sometimes literature is not even available.
4. Success. It is much easier to produce a successful community
of common fish because so many LFS and aquarist know like
the back of their hand which of the common species will live
happily together.

I have numerous tanks with some devoted to more exotic species. However whenever people come over, the fish they talk about and admire the most are the neon tetras in my community tank. And it is one of the most common fish of all.

Argento13

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
Fish snobs at Aquaria Central? I would have to reinforce the idea that if something is easy to get its most likely because it sells. Not much call for the hard to find ones or they would be easy to find.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
This is my Opinion. Is it Fact, no. There is nothing wrong with common fish at all. They can be very colorfull and have a nice attitude as well. My point is this. Once you understand the ideas behind fishkeeping, wouldnt you want to house more expensive, harder to keep fish? On top of that, wouldnt you want people who view your aquarium not even know the fish you have and say "wow, I never seen those fish before"? I would.

Here is a Vague comparison:

You can buy your clothes at KMART or at THE GAP. Sure, clothes at Kmart are wearable. No problem there. But would you want to be seen in clothes from Kmart? i wouldnt. I would like The Gap.
Same thing with my tank. Would I want a Common fish or something that is different and more exotic? Mine is the second choice. Am I a snob? Maybe. I just want the BEST for my tank. There is a vast difference between your common Oscar and a Blue frontosa.

other examples:

Cheap wine vs expensive wine
Fast food vs sit down restaurant
canned juice vs Fresh juice
Honda Vs BMW
VHS vs DVD

One is better then the other. Common fish Vs hard to get fish

Last edited:

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Well, if you're doing things for other people - what they think - be it what you wear or what fish you keep, then there lies your problem.

I do things that make ME happy.

I've been keeping fish since 1975. Yes, I started with guppies. Yes, once I got more experience I got a slightly bigger tank and tried more challenging fish. And now, here I am back at guppies and zebra danios, etc. and I have never been happier about my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store