guppies in 1 gallon bowl

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DaisyGirl

My Betta Malaria
Jan 5, 2005
I would definetly say NONE! Sorry, for guppies, if you plan on having males and females

Which you definetly would do this since the males are the colorful ones, and you have to have females with males, unless you want one male IMO.

So, anyway, guppies breed alot so they need at least 10g of water IME for them to thrive. I would put 1 male and 3 females in a 10g tank.

Also, guppies require a heater and filtration.

I would look in to bettas, even though they prefer to have a heater, also.

Good Luck!

PS: Please, please dont put a goldfish in there!

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
Fishbowls are great!! I like the smoked salmon and white rice, but a whole gallon of food would be too much for me to eat.:)..... just kidding. Well actually I'm kinda not. To re-itterate the above post, you could only have 1 guppy. Then when you try and find a filter and a heater for it, they are awkward and visually unpleasing. I use those little bowls for feeder goldfish, but the only live there for a day or two max.

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Those bowls are for bettas or gold fish, nothing else.

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Bowls are for nothing, they are useless little things!

And no you CAN NOT keep ANY guppies in a 1g or 1.5g bowl/dish/tank/what ever
The reason for this is because its going to be VERY hard to find a heater and filter small enough for your tank. If you are able to get a filter chances are that it will move the water and fish in it around very fast. A 25w heater(smallest Iv seen) my cook your tank if your not careful.

Last edited:

boy2cool

AC Members
Jan 13, 2005
Can Guppy fry's be kept in Bowls?? I don't have an extra tank rite now. Plssss somebody reply .

I have one 10galloon tank in which i have black molly fry which are now 3 weeks old. Can i put the guppy frys in it? The Guppy fry are just one day old.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Just to stress this, especially considering the last post I read from you was asking about how many guppies you needed to breed; the number of guppies you can fit into a bowl is ZERO. Guppies need at the very least a 5 gallon tank, and I want to make it clear that would be one male guppy, not a trio for breeding. The five gallon would actually be better for a fry growout tank. Just because a fish is small in the pet store and in a tiny, overcrowded tank does not mean it needs no territory or room to stretch its fins and swim a little.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
boy2cool said:
Can Guppy fry's be kept in Bowls?? I don't have an extra tank rite now. Plssss somebody reply .

I have one 10galloon tank in which i have black molly fry which are now 3 weeks old. Can i put the guppy frys in it? The Guppy fry are just one day old.
I'm sure I answered your original post on this - IMO it's not a good idea. A net breeder trap would be a better idea - fry are sensitive to fluctuations in water quality and temperature and will probably not do well kept in a bowl.
Some feathery plants like Hornwort or Java moss would provide good cover for the fry and don't need high light levels to survive. Plastic plants can also work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store