10gals and African Cichlids...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
Well, I just recieved another tank. It's a 10 gallon. I NEVER put tanks to waste. Never. Idk why, but i dont.

Anyways, I was thinking, do you think that it is in any way possible for me to put a few caves in there, and get a couple of small african cichlids?

Yes, I know that may be stretching it, but I just wanted to see what you all thought.

Bucho

Just along for the ride
Dec 13, 2002
Visit site
Are you ADHD?

I mean this in the nicest way, but one project at a time!! Maybe some of the small shell dwellers. I don't really know a lot shellies, maybe someone from the cichlid forum could help out. You may run into the same problems as the eel. Some say 10, some say 20? Some have success with both. Keep looking into it and do what you think is best.

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
hmmm....I wonder if kribensis would work...think so? I've successfully kept plenty of them I love them. Idk if they'd do so great in a 10 tho..

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Ive kept a pair of kribs in a 10 gallon before. Its extremely tricky... in that confined a space the male could easily kill the female. It would work if you FILLED the tank with wood, plants, rocks, and caves. If there are tons of hiding places then it could work... but its not really reccommended. They really should have a larger tank. I moved mine up to a 90 a few months after having them in the 10... they also had about 20 fry in there with them.

I reccommend tangynikan shelldwellers.

The only cichlids you can really do in a 10 gallon are:

-dwarf cichlids such as German Blue Rams and Apistogrammas, or cockatoo cichlids.
-tangynikan shelldwellers such as N. ocellatus or N. brevis

I currently keep 3 ocellatus: 1 male 2 female in a 10 gallon. They are awesome little fish.

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
too small, you might be able to put some shell dwellers. Can you use it as a quarintine tank?

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
...I guess I could use it as a quarentine tank, but I'd really like to have a couple of small, nice looking cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store