pleco delemo, oops

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I bought, what I now know is a common pleco from my lfs, he is doing fine, he resides with 2 danios. Question, will he be ok in a 2.5g tank? I posted this on another forum and they suggested I talk to someone here. So you could all laugh at me I am guessing:( They all said I had a future monster on my hands. Before you start telling me what I dumb move this was let me defend myself a bit. First of I told the guy at the fish store exactly what I had, and he told me to get it anyway, and second I am getting ready to move him to a 29g tank. Will he be ok there? And is there anything I can get to replace him in the 2.5g?Hope this was good for a chuckle, now please lead me in the right direction ;)

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
I've never had a Pl*co, but I've seen some and they can get pretty big. Certainly he'd be too much of a bio-load in a 2.5 gal, probably do just fine in the 29. Of course, as I'm writing this your Pl*co may have already died because you used the "e" instead of the "*" when you posted your message. :D (aquarist urban legend)

Actually, with 2 Danios you're probably close to the limit for the bio-load on your 2.5 gal. You might want to check out this site for info on stocking:

http://www.icesoftware.com/kdodds/fish/beginners.htm

If I'd seen that one before, my tank wouldn't be overstocked now. :rolleyes:

HTH

Best regards,

cich-o

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
S.E.MI
Visit site
Don't feel bad, my first fish was an Osar that I bought with a 10g starter kit! At least you realized your mistake and are trying to fix it. I would suggest that you return the pl*co and after telling the owner or manager just how irresponsible his/her help is trade it for an Otocinclus if algae control was the pl*co's purpose. Good luck!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
eh, we've all made the wrong purchase from time to time, it's how we learn.....eventually, that potential "monster" people have told you about will get to a size of well over 13" (from what I hear, their max is 24") and probably would wind up outgrowing your 29 gallon as well. I would follow cich-o's advice in returning the pl*co to the store you got him from and get an otocinclus instead.

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
ok but.....

This guy is in the 2.5g now and is about an inch and a half long. My 29g isn't ready yet :( How big is too big for the 29g, I must admit I am attached to him, he is so much fun to watch, I would like to keep him till he outgrows the 29g, and hopefully have a bugger home for him by then. WIll he bother the other fish once he is bigger than them?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Not sure if this is an accurate account for all of these guys, but mine is up to 13+ inches is about 3-5 years. I got him when he was about an inch or so small, though had I had any idea of their maximum size, I probably would've passed him by....but like you, I am quite attached to him at this point. The maximum these guys can get is 2 feet (24") long which will be way too much for your 29 gallon. I think 6 - 10" might be a safe size for a 29 gallon, but not quite sure as I've never kept that size and am not really sure of the specs. If anyone can help me in that area, please do. Nonetheless, this guy isn't going to be very happy in the 2.5 for too long, and regardless of how attached you are, if you have no plans on getting the 29 gallon up and running pretty soon, you should bring him back to the pet store until your're ready. He shouldn't bother the other fish once he gets bigger, though there have been accounts where these guys have been intimidators. I guess like all fish, attitude is per individual. Good luck in getting things rolling with this fish and whatever you decide to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store