ethical use of online information and photos in presentations?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I am giveing a speech in speech class... fancy that... anyway, and I am going to use some photos of tanks as examples of aquariums as art.

I'm thinking of useing photos from AGA's contests, each photo has on it a statement of who owns the work. Is that tag imbedded in the photo enough along with clear statements about where I got the photos?

I ask, now that I have copies of the ones I want on my computer, because I don't know exactly what the copyright laws cover and allow. I don't want to just go along and do stuff because the way the pictures are posted allow down loading if it isn't fine to do.

I want to respect the work and give proper credit.

anything I'm ignorent of?

Dog

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
Oklahoma
It looks like you would have to get ahold of the owner of each picture you would like to use and ask there permission.

This is what AGA has on there site. This is there rekease form that the owners of the pictures have to sign. Now if anyone would sue you for using the pictures in a class project is for you to decide.

AGA photo release form(copy and pasted from the AGA site AGA Photo Release form ) :

Instructions: All images submitted to the AGA International Aquascaping Contest must be accompanied by a signed copy of this Release Form. It must be signed by the person submitting the images and by the person who actually took the photographs.

The copyright of all images remains with the owner of the copyright. By submitting images to the AGA International Aquascaping Contest, the entrant and/or the copyright owner gives the Aquatic Gardeners Association the right to publish and/or display those images in any or all of the following venues the AGA International Aquascaping Contest web site; the Aquatic Gardeners Association web site; CD-ROM; The Aquatic Gardener, the Journal of the Aquatic Gardeners Association; various hobby related magazines.

The purpose(s) of all such publication of images shall be to illustrate and/or promote the aquascaping of aquaria, to promote the AGA International Aquascaping Contest, and to promote the Aquatic Gardeners Association.

In all cases of publication of images submitted to the AGA International Aquascaping Contest, the notice "(C)2004 [name of copyright owner]" will be given.

No other payment shall be made by the Aquatic Gardeners Association nor requested by the entrant and/or the copyright owner for the use of images submitted to the AGA International Aquascaping Contest.

Publication of any images submitted to the AGA International Aquascaping Contest by the Aquatic Gardeners Association in no way infringes upon or prevents any subsequent use of those images by the entrant and/or the copyright owner.

By signing and submitting this form, you agree with the above terms of use.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I think about it and the crazy part is that if I had all the technology I needed I could project the photos from the computer screen without ever doing more than going to the sites. No different than an individual looking at the website.

but because don't have that available I have to change its format and have to get permission to do so. all I have is a transparency projector ::sigh::

friggin 70's technology

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
If using for educational use you only need to mention the original photographer, you do not have to contact the original photographer, its not a violation of copyright, as its considered 'fair use'.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
hmm, I've gone ahead and asked anyway. I'm getting better files to take to the transparency making place this way. but I'm glad I checked. I'd rather know what i'm doing is fine and be more carefull than not know.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
I seem to recall in some work I've done in writing for roleplaying games that fair use is mainly defined three ways: educational, journalistic and believe it or not, satire. I think satire is why a lot of "fanfic" stuff is allowed to remain on the web. Rather a broad clause, I know, but there it is.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
If you are using the images for educational purposes (fair use) and you aren't publishing the images in a "fixed format" you are not violating copyright laws. Using the images in a speech in slide form (or as an overhead transparency) doesn't violate copyright. If you try to publish the images in a fixed format (book, pamphlet, Web page), then you need permission.

HTH,
Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store