help asap w/ my kissing gouramis!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kasimira

AC Members
Feb 7, 2005
I just got two kissing gourami's today. The dealer told me it would be fine to put two of them in a 10 gallon tank, even though I've heard otherwise. Anyways, when they came into my tank, they were fine. When I came back home around two hours later, they were just resting on the bottom, and not making their "kissy faces." Could they be acting this way b/c they're stressed??help! im already attached to these guys! :sad

emoore

AC Members
Oct 14, 2003
San Jose, CA
Visit site
Have you cycled your tank? As for the dealer, he was lying. Either take them back or get a much larger tank. Kissing gouramis can get up to a foot in length. They will either kill each other or die an early death from being in such a small tank.

hurdledude1298

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
michigan
i have had the same problem and have learned never put them in the same 10g tank they will out grow it and one of mine sucked on the other and gave him a bruise but they were in there for about 2 weeks before they died. sry but u should quickly do something.

Joshuainthebox

Big guy, little box!
Dec 6, 2004
me too?

I'd like to know what this behavior is too. I have a "blue paradise gourami" in a 29g tank with some zebra danios. I do regular 25-50% water changes and the parameters are great. Is this just his way of resting from his constant swimming. He loves to get in the flow of my filter and swim up towards the top. I've never noticed any other indicators that he's stressed or sick. I make sure that he eats well because I know the danios are faster than he is. So I guess I just wanted to know if there's something wrong with him or if this is just resting behavior for labyrinth fish?

Thanx

JOSH
<><

loserkid

Complete Newb..
Jan 31, 2005
Joshuainthebox said:
I'd like to know what this behavior is too. I have a "blue paradise gourami" in a 29g tank with some zebra danios. I do regular 25-50% water changes and the parameters are great. Is this just his way of resting from his constant swimming. He loves to get in the flow of my filter and swim up towards the top. I've never noticed any other indicators that he's stressed or sick. I make sure that he eats well because I know the danios are faster than he is. So I guess I just wanted to know if there's something wrong with him or if this is just resting behavior for labyrinth fish?

Thanx

JOSH
<><
My girlfriend has a blue paradise in her 29 gallon tank. Hers seems to act much the same that yours does, so I'd assume that it's just a characteristic of the fish. He swims around a bunch, but then will just kind of sit in one spot for awhile, no visible signs of illness or stress, I think he's just relaxing.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Paradise are in the same family as the kissing gouramies, but much different behavior. The 'kissing' seen is actually combat--not a friendly thing at all. In a 10, even cycled and well-cared for, you'll have problems with aggression and stress, and eventuallysize issues as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store