Water keeps turning green

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jringo101

AC Members
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
Pretty sure it is an algea thing but i keep changing the water (i find water that says it was RO'd) but it keeps tunring green...light is only on for maybe 2 hours...Going to check the Phosphates but didnt know if there was anything else i could do....

Jringo101

AC Members
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
46 bow...just live rock...4 months...2 fish now..3 snails....3 crabs..no info on parameters..have to get back to work

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are the 2 fish--there are 4 listed there? Sorry, but it's really hard to even guess what might be causing an algae bloom without knowing everything that is in the tank, from rock to critters, to filters, to sand. Feeding regimen, etc. If you'll get those for us tonight, we can see what's causing the problem.

Jringo101

AC Members
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
Sorry,,
I have a powerhead and a marineland canister filter with nothing inside of it....two fish are the yellowtail and fire...2 cerinth snails..1 nassaruis (? spelling) snail...hawiian blue crab..scarlett reef..clack and white crab, also hawaiin i think..just live rock..

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It doesn't look like it's overstocked--which is good. How about feeding habits? Substrate? Anything that could be trapping solid wastes where the cleaners can't get to it? The concern I have is that you're having green water--which is different than when algae covers everything. Algae on objects can be controled by adding more cleaners, but unless there's an obvious source of solid wastes, more cleaners seldom help with green water. I'd test the phosphates of new water--with heavy algae growth, both phosphates and nitrates in the tank may be very low. What salt mix do you use? Any supplements for buffering?

Jringo101

AC Members
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
barley feed them cuz i had a previous algea on glass, rocks problem which cleared up..so the lights been off alot..i have white carribean sand for the sub..use a ph buffer 8.2..use the salt with the clown on the front of the bag...sorry cant think of the name..1.024 is the salinity..unfortunatly i cant test for phos. Getting that tonight...
Funny thing is i put a filter in the canister when this happened last week and when i pulled it out it was covering in algea i presume (was green and slimey)..so thats why i assume algea in the water...the rocks and glass have minimal algea on them....

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check the ingredients of the buffer. Phosphate based buffers are common--and bad news. You want one that's calcium based instead--pretty sure Sea Chem's is good.

Jringo101

AC Members
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
Buffer states it contains no phos....feeding formula one and two pellets and brine shrimp.... so i'm at a loss.... :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store