Any suggestions for fresh water eels?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

itswoodie

AMMAGAD IMA NEWB
Jan 31, 2005
Philadelphia
search.ebay.com
I know very little about eels, and after searching the boards I couldnt come up with much info, so I figured I'd just come out and ask.

I have a 20 gal fresh water with tetras + barbs. Is there any breed of eel that I could get for this setup? I was hoping to get a pair of African Dwarf Frogs too (once my cycle is complete).

Any suggestions or advice? Thanks!

congealedmeat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
***EDIT***
Read the posts below before reading any of this rubbish below, it's wrong :bowing:
***EDIT***

I had a few eels awhile back that I got sold as "Spaghetti Eels" and they were really small(<4") and really active. I don't know what they actually were, or if they were even really eels. They were just too small and fast to get a good long look at their bodies.

They were almost see-thru, and a grey irridescent color.

You could keep these in a smaller tank I bet, as they didn't grow at all while I had them, but they didn't have a long life-span(3 died on me over the course of a year with no apparent reason).

Last edited:

congealedmeat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2005
yep, that's exactly what it was! I had no idea they got so big! Obviously I had no idea how to take care of them...Too bad I killed em(no salt), I'd like to have 3 meter long eels :D

Forget them for a tank this small then :D

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
The only thing I can think of that would work in your tank would be Kuhli loaches. They aren't really eels, but are eel-like.

As for true eels, I can't think of any that would work. Most commonly available eels get too big for your tank and would likely eat your other fish.

1tankneverenuff

CephHead
Feb 13, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Visit site
congealedmeat said:
***EDIT***
Read the posts below before reading any of this rubbish below, it's wrong :bowing:
***EDIT***

I had a few eels awhile back that I got sold as "Spaghetti Eels" and they were really small(<4") and really active. I don't know what they actually were, or if they were even really eels. They were just too small and fast to get a good long look at their bodies.

They were almost see-thru, and a grey irridescent color.

You could keep these in a smaller tank I bet, as they didn't grow at all while I had them, but they didn't have a long life-span(3 died on me over the course of a year with no apparent reason).
I hope you weren't referring to my post as being wrong...'cause all along I was right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store