aggressive tomato clown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kingd350

AC Members
Mar 13, 2003
nyc
Visit site
I have a 55gal. fish only tank at work. Its about 8 months old. I just purchased a bali maroon clown. I patiently acclimated it. When I released him into tank, the tomato clown went into attack mode. If the maroon clown comes down from behind the heater the tomato goes right for him until the maroon goes back up to the top, by the heater. There' s plenty of room in the tank, I only have the tomato clown, 2 yellow tailed blue damsels, 2 emerald crabs, and a couple of turbo snails. Should I isolate the tomato or maroon clown? I have one of those small isolation tanks that float inside your tank.

thanks for any help.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
you can try isolation the tomato for a while. but i beleive clowns are in the damsel family. and i dont think mixing clowns is a very good idea. the only clowns i would put in a tank are a mated pair or a juvanile pair. usually mixing clowns isnt a very good idea.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I agree with Jessie. Probably the only clown the original clown will tolerate in a 55 would be a prospective mate.

You might try isolating the newcomer, to see if the tomato will get used to it, but I wouldn't bet a lot on it working.

Fish_First

AC Members
Jan 14, 2005
most likely it won't work... both of the clownfish you picked turn out to be fairly aggressive adults.

fishman89

AC Members
Feb 5, 2005
Cali
I have a tomato clown in a 55g with a bicolor angel and that lil clown is a hit! he's so funny. everyday when i walk in he swims to the glass to say hi and all! but when it comes down to feeding time he's the boss. He will chase the angel across the tank just to get an extra piece of food. dont get me wrong these guys are the best! but its just not a good idea to miz em with other clowns. try and return that clown or give it a good home!

Nautilus

AC Members
Feb 9, 2005
tomatoes are aggresive. If the clowns are the same size that can be aproblem. Try rearranging the tank so the tomato clown loses his territorial behavior

kingd350

AC Members
Mar 13, 2003
nyc
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I should have known better, couldn't fight the temptation! I have isolated the maroon. Maybe the tomato will get used to it. I have also moved the rocks around. If it doesn't work, ill return it.

Thanks again

fishman89

AC Members
Feb 5, 2005
Cali
no problem,sometimes a new fish takes getting used to. Maybe it will work. Otherwise see if you can take it back or if not sell it to a good home.

tigris

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
Chicago
I had two clowns but I also gave each their own anenome on opposite sides of the tank. Had no probs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store