DIY LED Moonlight supplier

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BeerBudgett

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
This is going to be an ongoing (I Hope ;) ) review/build project for DIY LED moonlights. I found a site that has nothing but LED bulbs, circut boards, accesories, etc....

A little about me: I am REALLY new to aquariums ( was given a 29 long in October and have just been having a good time since then.... ) and besides making a stand for my freebie 135 gal, I have not tackled any DIY projects yet. I am a Master Toyota mechanic so I have the electrical savvy to do DIY projects using 12 volt power supplies which is what most DIY articles advise as being the easiest and most cost effective for LEDs. After looking around at all the "factory" made systems, I figured that there HAS to be a less expensive moonlight system for my tanks than what I have seen in the various websites and catalogs.

After spooking around the web I stumbled onto this site : http://www.theledlight.com/specialtyleds.html

There are 12 blue leds on a 12" circuit board that can be "snaped" into seperate sections. Each one is then self-suffient or can be "daisy chained" to spread then out accross a wider area! Go to the web site to see what I mean....

To make a long story dull, I ordered a 12" strip of 12 LEDs, 3 sets of jumpers so that I can seperate the the strip into 4 sections to be spread over a wider area, a set of leads to connect every thing to a power supply ( I am planning to use an old 12volt power supply from a rechargeable flashlight ) and 2 mounting rails. With shipping it came in at about $28 and some change. The circuit boards are complete with the proper resistors and avoid the whole "which end is + and which is - ????" issue.... (yes, _I_ know how to tell and double check, but why not make it simple so EVERYONE can save a few $$$ ?? As an added benefit the boards and connectors will make a cleaner installation, plus THEY ARE INEXPENSIVE!!!)

I will do an entire review and build project as soon as I receive the stuff and get a chance to get everything built. To all those more savvy than I, please let me know what you think as soon as you take a look at the site.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store