New Clownfish not eatting.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Thresa

AC Members
Sep 15, 2004
I bought a pair of tank raised percula clown fish this weekend and they haven't had much of an apetite since I've had them. Ones about an inch long and the other is a little smaller. I feed them a carnivore flake food and have tried to feed them a frozen carnovire food as well. I then tried feeding them sinking pellets that were stated they were ideal for clownfish on the label. They just pick at the food a little bit.

Can someone recomend something else that I can try to feed to them.

Could they have some sort of disease?

I really appreciate any advice that anyone can give me.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Tank conditions? A few days isn't long for them to acclimate--I'd give them a few more days, and make sure to remove any uneaten food so it doesn't cause water quality issues.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
My clowns were really finicky at first. Only small foods, like baby brine shrimp or particles of formula 1. Try breaking up the frozen food between your fingers.

Thresa

AC Members
Sep 15, 2004
The tank has been cycled for 3 months now. Temp is 78, pH is 8.4, salinity 1.023. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are all 0. I am removing all uneatten food and I plan to do a water change soon. I do a small water changes once a week. I am wondering if the pet store labeled them as tank raised when they were really wild caught. You would think that tank raised would take food no problem.

Should I try to feed them herbivore food? I was reading that marine algae is part of their diet.

Thanks,
Thresa

Thresa

AC Members
Sep 15, 2004
Thanks for the info that makes me feel a lot better. My first fish were Chromis and they ate like pigs from day one. The clowns are my second set of fish so I was a little worried. What do you feed your clowns now?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
They'll eat anything. Formula 1, Omega 1 flake, homemade coral food, bioblend pellets, frozen mysis, frozen brine.

How do their mouths look? Mine have slightly deformed mouths (one of the potential down-sides to captive-bred fish), and I think that may have slowed their eating down at first.

You should certainly still keep an eye out for any potential diseases, like ich or velvet. Lack of appetite may indicate a problem, but it may just be a phase they are going through.

Thresa

AC Members
Sep 15, 2004
I haven't noticed anything unusual about their mouths. I'll have to take a closer look at them when I get home tonight.
Thanks again,
Thresa

kcmo lawman

Just a SimpleMan
Dec 10, 2004
Kansas City, Mo
My clown didn't want to eat for about a week after I got him. I finally got some liquid garlic from the lfs. The liquid garlic did the trick. Ever since that my clown has turned into a little pig.
Hope some or all of these suggestions work. Let us know how things turn out.

Good luck,
Bradd

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store