Blue Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
Hi everyone.
I have a 50g tank with live rock and soon some coral, and I want a blue tang. I know that they grow to big for the tank but couldn't I just keep it until it grew to large?? At least that way I get a few years out of him, which is heaps, then I can get another one??

I have also read that they get white spot very easily. If he got it, how do you cure it?? and how can you prevent it.

your comments are greatly appreciated

3lawssafe

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Oliver said:
Hi everyone.
I have a 50g tank with live rock and soon some coral, and I want a blue tang. I know that they grow to big for the tank but couldn't I just keep it until it grew to large?? At least that way I get a few years out of him, which is heaps, then I can get another one??

I have also read that they get white spot very easily. If he got it, how do you cure it?? and how can you prevent it.

your comments are greatly appreciated
There should be no problem with keeping a hippo (blue tang) in your tank. Depending on how you feed, is how fast it will grow. If you feed constantly and ALOT, it will grow fast. If you feed moderately and sparingly - it will grow slowly.

Tangs, especially hippos and powder blues - are prone to ICH, those white spots. To prevent and treat them, feed a healthy diet consisting of vitamins, garlic and nori. Tangs eat algae and the like. Keeping up the fishes immune system is what you need to do. If by chance your tang gets ich, its not the end of the world. If its healthy, feed it healthy foods and it will fight it off naturally. Either way, I would also use MELAFIX as a suppliment to getting rid of it. Its a natural tea tree extract that can be used in reefs without harm to anything. I have used it many times in the past and ich is gone within a few days.

There will be some reoccurance depending on its health, but this does not last long. Keep the fish stress free and healthy and you will not have an issue. I would also suggest turning off all the lights before you add him to the tank so it is less stressfull. Slowly add 1/2 a cup of water ever 10 mins for about 30/45 mins and then release into the tank. Keep an eye on him and go from there.

jessie

AC Members
Mar 3, 2004
indiana
Visit site
if you buy a small one, maybe 2 inches long or so, you may be able to keep it for a couple years. just make sure you already have a place you can trade him in. my blue tang is 11 inches long, i beleive that it would be a little cramped in a tank your size.

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
thanks alot guys!
Finally I can have 2 nemo and 1 dory!!!!! have a good day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store