canister filter/HOB filter can someone explain the difference?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
i know what HOB filters do i have an aqua clear - but i'm always hearing about canister filters - what's the big deal with these? which is better?
thanks

acefred

AC Members
Dec 26, 2004
LMOUTHBASS said:
i know what HOB filters do i have an aqua clear - but i'm always hearing about canister filters - what's the big deal with these? which is better?
thanks
anister filters are great they allow the tank to sit closer to a wall (unlike HOB), give more media choices (unlike HOB), generally provide higher filter rates, generally can require less maintenance.

They both are great but for the variety and function I prefer Canister. The one downfall is they cost more generally also.

Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
HOB are more affordable and noisier, and in most cases don't hold as much media.

Cannisters are more expensive, quieter, hold more media and are much easier to clean. You just turn it off, unplug the hoses and take the filter where you want to clean it.

I have aqua clear HOBs and a Rena cannister, love 'em both. If I had the money I would only have cannister filters, though.

Pretty much what was stated above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store