How to Properly clean Sand.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Yo_Loach

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
undisclosed
www.drunkduck.com
I have a tank, with sand all around the bottom, and gravel over the sand I use this to keep plants so the plants can root easier in sand. My sand however is diminishing, due to the fact that a lot of it is sucked out accidentally when I vaccuum.

How are you supposed to vaccuum sand, are you even supposed to vaccum it? -Thank you for your time.

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
Yes, you should vacuum sand. You can use a vac with a smaller diameter so it won't suck up the sand.

What i do on my tanks is this.
I use a gravel vac meant for a 20g to deeply penetrate the substrate (on a 1/2 BB 1/2 sand 180g and a 20g 1/2 BB and 1/2 gravel). Meanwhile another tube is siphoning water out of the tank at the same time. I then use the bucket water to clean my filter media.

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
how often do you clean your filter media?

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
I use play sand from HD, and you basically cant vaccume it, the closest I can do is to get the syphon started and then swish it near the sand so the debris float up and then suck it up. Or just before changing you water, stir up the debris so you can just drain most with the water change and then your filter should help get the rest.

racingjason

Big Fish Tank..Small Fish Knowledge
Feb 7, 2005
I bought the longest siphon vac I could get and it does a pretty good job of not removing much sand. I pull it away from the surface and let the sand fall out every few seconds. I also siphon into a large bucket that overflows into a drain, whatever sand I do suck up is in the bottom and just needs rinsing..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store