oscars with piranhas???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
There both from the same native waters and can both live together peacefully.

The piranhas however are notorious for getting hungry and attacking their tankmates.

cacti

AC Members
May 31, 2001
Ripon, California, USA
Only in rare unusual circumstances will Piranhas be able to share a tank with another species. Someone mentioned Piranhas and Oscars share the same habitats, I don't believe this. The Amazon is thousands of miles of waterways and even if they come from the same general area it probably would not be exact. :rolleyes:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
The oscars are masters at escaping piranhas in the wild because they are smart and have lots of hiding places and escape routes. If you keep an oscar with a piranha in a tank, the escape routes will be a LOT fewer in number, and the piranha will eventually figure out that the eyespot is just a "dummy". My vote: piranhas, if we're talking about this proposed tank, but my vote would be "don't do it" if I am forced to choose between having this tank setup or not.

wantsome8

AC Members
Dec 14, 2002
detroit michigan
Visit site
my bubby a 100gal tank with 2 fully grown oscars 3 fully grown piranhas and five 3-6 inch piranhas the piranhas they never messed with the oscars he had the tanks for years until the power went out after a storm and they died

dpmac10

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Nebraska
Visit site
hey whats up mky friend had a 55 gallon tank with 2 5" rbp and 1 5" oscar and they got together pretty good right when the oscar got put in the tank the rbp kinda pushed him around to see what the oscar would put up with but they got along pretty good. a key is to keep them both feed very well i think so that the rbp don't have to attack there tank mates. another would be try to feed them deferent things like feed the rbp feeders and the oscar beef heart or worms it seems to work to so then one fish doesn't feel like the other is stilling his food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store