Immaculate Grass Conception!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Quartermain

From the deepest darkest abyss
Jan 10, 2005
About a month ago I prepped a 10 gallon tank for live plants. My first potted aquarium. However I got a little ahead of myself and so the tank has been sitting with a bed of flourite for nearly a month waiting for the weather to warm up enough so that I can have the plants shipped to me. A couple of days ago I happened to look in the tank and was amazed to find that a blade of grass had popped up a few inches above the flourite! :eek:

Now I'm either the master of all aquarists and can order life to spring into existance at will... or it came from the Flourite. I just thought it was hillarious. Why buy expensive plants when they spring into existance at no additional cost? LOL

Has this ever happend to anyone else? Is it common to find seeds in flourite?

jonathan03

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
Well have you added any fish? If you added water from another tank it is very likely that you can get a peice of a plant and it will grow. For example, I bought a plant and in the water was a few peices of duckweed ( http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-143.htm ). It quicly multipled and took over the top of the tank.

It is rare that this has happened. Its likely due to a peice of a plant getting stuck to something you put in the tank. That is a filter or heater from another tank or maybe the subrate was from another tank.

It would be nice for an entire tank to become filled with plants completely though. I am still waiting for it to happen though haha.

Quartermain

From the deepest darkest abyss
Jan 10, 2005
Nope. I have no other planted tanks and have never put a single plant or fish in this tank. The water is straight from the tap. It must be the Immaculate Grass Conception! Now charging $2.50 per view. No appointment necessary. :idea2:

Seriously it must have been a seed from the flourite, I can think of no other explaination. Chances are I would never have noticed had I planted the tank right away. It is possible that this is a common occurance and that nobody knows about it becuase they plant their tanks right away and camoflauge any springlings that may pop up out of the soil. It's not a great mystery. I just thought it was funny.

peleg38

AC Members
Sep 28, 2004
Vacaville, CA
LOL Me Too

It's really funny that you just posted. I just had a similar occurance. I too am seeing the light and moving to a planted tank. I just put a bag of peat moss on the bottom of my 40G and covered it with about 3 1/2 inches of Flourite. The tank isn't planted yet (No $ for lights and CO2 yet) but I have had about 10 little sprouts come up in the first week. They look a little bit like Glosso that is about 2 inches high at the moment. It's a pretty cool little bonus. I'm not sure how much of the stuff I'll keep but for now I'll wait and see what it does.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
When I first put in flourite I got 5 or 6 sprouts like that from the gravel. I just assumed that some sort of grass seed had gotten into the flourite. I think we let one go just to see if it would live but it died after finishing sprouting. water makes any seed sprout but the terrestrial plants can't live submersed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store