Pictus cats & ICH... HELP?! :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FooF

Daveedka & Harlock are my heroes!
Feb 13, 2005
Michigan
www.illusioncamp.com
okay, i keep alot of different catfish and botias and eels in my tank... i just noticed, after about a month from the introduction of our most recent fish, that we have ich... this is about the 3rd time, and every time i have no choice but to treat with the conventional med's that are sold at pet stores. now i know im not supposed to use any of these with pictus cats especially, but what else can i use? anyone ever been able to cure ich on pictus cats?

right now, i have removed all the meds from the water after a 24 hour treatment. i did about a 75% water change, and as always, my pictus cats are still acting strange and their wiskers seem to be dying.

i also set up a small tank and put my 9 botias and one tiretrack eel (who all seem to have at least one ich spot on them) and bombed them with a mixture of ich and fungus treatment that seems to be working, but i still fear for their health.

one pictus cat still in general population still shows a couple spots, even after last nights medication and water change... is there ANYTHING i can do/use to save my fish :(

every time this sutff gets my fish, i end up with the same thing: everything dies but the tinfoil barbs, gouramis and angel fish... and of course the more sturdy of the catfish (pleco, banjos, raph's and whiptails).

please help :(

i know there is special meds for scaleless fish to treat ich, but i have had no luck at all with them.

also... my pair of sun cats seem to be itching at the gravel, but do not show any spots yet... could they just be itching to itch, or could they be infected w/o showing signs yet?

if anyone could possibly help, please contact me on AIM or reply here, or email me. i would greatly appriciate it!

EMAIL: foof@horrorcore.com
AIM: REELIFEPRODUCT

:(:(

FooF

Feb 13, 2005
Michigan
www.illusioncamp.com
well, after reading some information from the boards here, im now trying to bring my temp up around 90. i dont THINK i have anything that will be affected by this, but im going to watch things very carefully while bringing the temp up.

im also adding salt a little at a time, trying to reach 1tsp per/gal.

anybody? advice?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Sounds like a plan. Keep a close eye, like you said. 90 isn't necessary, by the by, if your fish can't tolerate it. 84-86 work just fine if you need to keep things a touch cooler.

FooF

Feb 13, 2005
Michigan
www.illusioncamp.com
indeed, im just really tired of losing fish... guess i need to stop giving in to the temptation of new fish :(

if i can bring it up to 90 w/o harming anything, im going to do it.... if i get any odd reactions, i will obviously lower it, pronto.

now from what i read, ich is pretty much safe while it is actually on the fish... does this mean the temp change will not effect it at this stage as well?

how long should i leave the temp up?

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Here I will point you to the wonderful artivle Daveedka wrote for the articles forum of this very site. It answers all of these questions and then some. You can get to it from the main forum index or just follow this handy-dandy link!

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Just a note for FooF, I do not pretend to be an all knowing expert, but well over 90% of my ich experiences in 16 years have been with pictus cats in particular. They seem to be the first thing to get an outbreak no matter what fish are in the tank. I can tell you straight up that they will not tolerate meds if the ich is bad at all the combined stresses are almost always fatal. I have successfully treated them with salt and heat but no other method I've ever used seemed to work. Check out the article, if you have additional questions post back, and I'll try to keep an eye out for your posts.
dave

FooF

Feb 13, 2005
Michigan
www.illusioncamp.com
daveedka said:
Just a note for FooF, I do not pretend to be an all knowing expert, but well over 90% of my ich experiences in 16 years have been with pictus cats in particular. They seem to be the first thing to get an outbreak no matter what fish are in the tank. I can tell you straight up that they will not tolerate meds if the ich is bad at all the combined stresses are almost always fatal. I have successfully treated them with salt and heat but no other method I've ever used seemed to work. Check out the article, if you have additional questions post back, and I'll try to keep an eye out for your posts.
dave
thanks very much, the article was extremely informative for me, but im wondering.... i believe you said (i may have some info wrong, correct me if i do) ich cant live in 85-90 deg water... but also, that ich is pretty much invincible while in the 'on fish' stage.... so will raising the temp to 88 or so kill the ich living on the fish, or not?
thanks again for all the information.
~KM

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
Well, whenever my old tank used to get the ich, When I had 3 big silver dollars..(that were a hybrid between silver dollars and something else, I believe) well I used the ich medicine that was labeled for use ONLY with scaled fish. It still cleared the ich of the silvers flawlessly and did no noticible damage to them at all. I dont think I'd worry about it too much...but you know, I could be wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store