Neon Blue Jack Dempsey

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ineedabox

Slash
Jan 31, 2005
riiiight here
Has anyone on here ever seen one of these? I am about to start 3 more tanks (hopefully) and one of them is going to be a cichlid tank. I was looking around on the net and I saw a pic of a neon blue jack dempsey, they're beautiful. I've never seen one of them...or even heard of them for that matter though, so I'm guessing they're quite rare...does anyone on here know anything about them at all?

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Check the species profiles here at AC, there are several pictures of Blue Dempseys. They are basically a selectively bred strain of the dempsey, and are gaining in popularity. They tend to be a little less hardy, and typically not as pugnacious as the regular dempseys. Many places they are still extremely expensive, despite the fact that they are becoming pretty prevalent in the hobby.
Dave

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
a know a few with the ones from jeff rapps i think hes the original blue dempsey guy but those fish were more active comming out of the box than my red points. which is another nice fish with a nice blue i think of them as cheap frontosas.

jonathan03

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
I have found that some fish labled Jack Dempsey are very aggressive like the boxer, while others are more like a momma's boy. There are several different strains of these fish. Some will kill any fish you put with it and others will be killed. They seem to be across the board.

The best option is to get one from someone other than a pet store or a pet store who has had one for a long time and has watched it to see if its agressive. Hopefully that will help in your decision.

Cichlids like lots of rocks and caves. Remember, no plants.

In my area there are large limestone deposits which I used to make several caves in my 55 gallon tank. The limestone was in sheets similar to slate but not nearly as smooth. It also had some interesting fossils on it. I scrubbed it down very well with water several times and let it sit in a bucket for several days, changing the water each day. After about a week I added it to the tank. Using rock near your home is a bit risky, but if your careful it can be done. It is hard to find very large sheets of rock. The peices I used are nearly as tall and wide as a 55 gallon tank. I chiseled them down so they would fit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store