Angelfish in 37g tank -- will this work?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Greetings all:
I am in the process to doing a fishless cycle on a 37g tank (36"L x 12"W x 20"H). While I have the time I have been considering what to stock it with. My plan is to add 3 small angels, 5 corydoras and the 2 female platys that are now in a 5g tank. One of the reasons I am eager to get things going is the agression I have observed between the platys in the 5g tank. The stress of watching the larger platy pick on the smaller one (I think due to the small tank size) has given me pause for thought. I would not like to see the angels I plan on getting exhibit the same sort of behaviour. Is the 37g tank large enough to house 3 angelfish without too much competition between them or is it likely that this will be a contributing factor to the angels being aggressive towards each other. While I realize that tank size is not the only contributing factor to agressive behaviour, I would like to have an idea of wether it will be a factor in my case. Also, are there any other ways that I can help to reduce agression between angelfish? Would I be better off substituting the the angelfish for Bolivian rams or some other "centerpiece" fish that would likely be less agressive? Any insights will be appreciated.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
There is a range of personalitys and agression that angels have.

best case scenario you get 3 laid back angels and you will wonder why they say angels are agressive.

If you buy your angels from some place you can watch them for a time you may be able to select the more mellow angels out of the group for sale. The ones that are picked on and thus hang back when you look at the tank and possibly are smaller or thinner are less agressive. watching them for some time will allow you to try to make the differentiation between laid back and ill. look for those that are bright eyed and interested in you but hang back because of the pushyness of the other angels.

Case in point my angel( seen in avatar) was pushed away from the food almost to the point of starvation while at the fish store and prior. I didn't know if he would live he was so skinny. but he is a softie, doesn't retaliate for anything and lives to beg.

worse case you get agressive angels and two of them decide to pair up. the 3 foot tank might just be enough room to allow the third angel to get out of the way but it won't be a calm exsistence.

In essence it depends on the specific angels and the luck of the draw as to the genders you get home. 3 females and I wouldn't worry about them. I would look at the temperments of the fish you consider like you would consider your pick of a litter of puppies. out of the group there will be a better and worse match for the situation you want.

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
As a follow up, is it possible/desirable to keep just one angel in a tank with other fish (perhaps corydoras, platys or red eye tetras? While this will make angel on angel aggression impossible is the angel then likely to display aggression towards the other species of fish in the tank?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
with my dad's very agressive male angels he had at separate times only the fish that caused harm to the angel were picked on

angels are preditors and might not let any of the livebearers babies survive unless you have more places that they could hide than be seen. you may not like that aspect but I don't view attempting to eat a small fish as agressive behavior. that is the stomach talking which I vew sepparately from social behavior.

He had small danios, pristilla tetras, sisortailed rasboras, chinese algae eater(one he had was the most entertaining fish he or I have had, and one turned agresssive and had to be removed), spread between the two succesive male angels. this was in a 20 long so the extra real estate helped, as the tank was 12x30. wasn't quite tall enough for the second angel after you counted the gravel, but I wouldn't have tried them in any tank with a smaller foot print.

there were instances where one of the danios or tetras did nip the angels fins and got pushed half way across the tank wrapped around the nose of the angel, but the particular fish learned and didn't bother the angel after that.

but unless you get beasts like those I would worry about the angel getting picked on and make fish selections that avoid the most infamous fin nippers like tiger barbs, black skirts, serpae tetras...

Last edited:

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Thanks again for your insights SI. Good call on the serpae tetras, for a short time I was thinking of getting some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store