a couple of questions from a SW newbie....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tampa4

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
first, I have an amircle sl (hang from back) filter w/ protein skimmer arriving tomorrow, which I'll use for my 55 gal set up. Is this a reliable unit? I've read that their rio powerheads aren't that reliable, so now I'm a little nervous about it. Next, the guy at the LFS told me that, when I place live, cured rock into the aquarium, it should cycle that day and will be ready for a fish or two by the following day. Is this true or should I wait longer before introducing fish into my aquarium? Thanks and any other advice would be appreciated.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
My 55 cycled in 18 days but I still waited another month to put animals in. You will need good, reliable test kits. From the sound of your lfs, I would test the water myself. It sounds like he just wants your money. Don't start your cycle with a fish even if it is a damnsel.

tampa4

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
I honestly don't think he simply wants my money. He seems like a nice guy who knows what he is talking about. I mean, heck, when he recommended getting an Amiracle w/protein skimmer, he even suggested I look on ebay first as they are cheaper on there (even though he had a few in stock). He was right---I saved $50. But anyway, getting back to cycling, he said that as long I have start with at least 25 lbs of live, cured rock for my 55 gal aquarium, it should cycle that day and I'll be ready to introduce a fish or two the following day (provided, of course, that everything tests out okay.) But, if that still doesn't sound right please let me know. One last question, when I do regular water changes, I assume that I should only use ro/di water? Is it possible to use filtered water w/added conditioners? If not, I guess I should look at getting a ro/di filter, as making trips to the pet store for ro/di water will become a pain after a while.

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I would add the live rock and let the tank run fallow for a few days to ensure that you don't get another cycle started. Always err to the side of caution. It would be sad to add the livestock the next day and have them suffer through another cycle if it starts.

As for RO/DI water, it's WELL worth the expense of getting your own unit. I used filtered tap water for years and started using an RO/DI unit with my latest tank - it's made the world of difference. My tank is hyper-clear, there's no brown diatom bloom, and the fish are healthy and happy.

Marine aquariums demand the best you can do for their health. A RO/DI unit is a sound investment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store