Buffalo Head

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kjd277

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
Can these be mixed with other africans. If so, what kind. And does anyone know anything about the Blue Eyed Sajica fish. I'm not sure what kind it is and if that also can go with Africans. Thanks

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
The sajica is either central or south american, I can't remember which. The buffalhead is a cichlid from Africa that lives in rivers not lakes. Not really compatible with Lake cichlids.

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
I had a 2.5" buffalo head with my africans mostly peacocks 4-6" and it was fine for about a week more or less, anyway he disapeared looked all over for it and it could not be found hewas healthy, eating and swimmming around. But i am currently looking for some more, just to experiment agian, see if they killed it, or disease or something else claimed its life.

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
More than likely the reason it died was because you were keeping it with fish it was not compatible with, either temperamentally or environmentally. Buffaloheads do not like the high Ph that Lake cichlids need. Neither are they aggressive enough.

And as far as experimentation is concerned, I find that a pretty inappropriate use for fish.

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
they are just fish, they are not humans get over it. They are stupid animals not capable of thought. I love keeping fish but they are fish. Hey if i can try to get it to survive why not they are cool fish.

blueturq

This hobby is addicting!
Jul 17, 2004
Canada
Visit site
losthere said:
they are just fish, they are not humans get over it. They are stupid animals not capable of thought. I love keeping fish but they are fish. Hey if i can try to get it to survive why not they are cool fish.
This is the kind of ignorance and arrogance that gives the hobby a bad name :(

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
I hope your just trolling and don't really mean that, cause if you do you take the prize for the most idiotic statement I've heard in a fish forum. And I've heard some good ones.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
The blue eyed sajica is a central american fish, Archocentrus sajica, and would not be compatible with african cichlids. They need softer water and they are relatively more peaceful than most africans. I am spawning a similar species, Archocentrus spirulus, the blue eyed cichlid, and they are beautiful, hardy fish. The "Buffalo Head" from west africa, Steatocranus casuarius, would be fine with africans. I have a 4 inch Buffalo Head in my 90g Mbuna show tank with lots of rock work - he is thriving and he can hold his own just fine - he even can dish it out a bit! He is definately one of my favorite fish in the tank - lots of personality. He has his own territory and is not challenged. Great eater too!
Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
I just got a Buffalo Head Cichlid today, the LFS said he would not be very aggressive and would get along pretty well with everyone, well he seems to be very territorial and doesn't seem to like it when my clown loaches come close to what ever he is claiming as his territory at the time. any advise or thoughts? I have no other cichilds in the tank , and plan on getting mostly non aggresive fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store