What type of pleco is this??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stellar2187

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
Visit site
Hello!!!!
Good people of aquariacentral.com, I need your help. On monday, I walk into this fish store just to have a look around. I happen to stumble on a very nice group plecos. The store named them "rubbernose" plecos. Now, the rubbernose plecos I'm used to seeing are brown with little black spots spread all over their body. And the body is chunky, the tail is fat, and the head is larger than the rest of the body. But... the ones I saw in the store had the same body features, but had a different color. They were all black with, I think blue eyes, but I'm not really sure about the eye color.
They were juviniles, about 2 to 3 inches long. There were around 10 to 15 in this small tank. The tank had to be around 25 gallons. The tank's back, and sides were painted a light blue. There was grayish - white gravel and a piece of wood in the tank, and an air stone.
So can you guys help me identify this pleco? Maybe because of the lighter backrounds, this fish chaged colors, or it's a different type of pleco.
And can you provide me with information on this pleco.

Thank you

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Color differences aren't really a good way to distinguish species. Fish will change color to blend with their backgrounds, especially bottom feeders. If the shape and bahvior of the fish isn't widely different than of over rubber noses, sounds like these fish are maybe a little stressed the background and new home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store