Root tabs, Should i?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you use root tabs?

• Yes

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 85.0%

• Total voters

Mooch28

AC Members
Dec 24, 2004
Toronto (Brampton)
Since i dont have a 100% flourite gravel bed, im thinking of using them for some of my hungry plants such as the swords. However, how often should i add them to my tank? Ive heard that you should add them every 3 months. Ive got high light and C02 injection staying steady around 30-30ppm, and am dosing ferts on a daily basis or have started to anyways. So how often do you guys suggest using these root tabs or are you completely against them.

Also, are there different "types" of root tabs or are they esentially all the same.

Finally, there a poll above, as im curious too see how many are in favour of root tabs!

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
I'm not necessarily against root tabs, I simply don't use them because I have never seen a need to. Apparently all the plants I have are just happy and fine pulling what they can from the substrate and yanking the rest out of the water column. I dose Flourish and Flourish Excel according to directions and change 50% of my water every 5 days. I have 2.46 WPG PC lighting at 6700K. I run 2 Penguin 125s with BIO-Wheels for filters. My plants are as follows:
Banana Plant (Nymphoides aquatica)
Ozelot sword (Echinodorus x. 'Ozelot')
Amazon Sword (Echinodorus amazonicus)
Ludwigia ovalis
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne wendtii (green)
Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
Parrot's Feather (Myriophyllum aquaticum)
So far so good. Everything is growing well, the fish love the plants and I'm one happy aquarist. The best compliment I get is when someone comes in and says, "Wow, your plants are really growing. That looks nice." I'll keep my fingers crossed... and very wet. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store