Building a Fishing Pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jonathan03

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
I was wondering how difficult it is to create a man made pond to keep bass and bluegilll in for fishing. I'm not thinking of the standard 10' x 10' pond, but something maybe an acre or two. Just a small pond that these game fish can be kept in. Maybe about 10 to fifteen feet deep in the middle.

I'm sure that this would take a lot of work. But some of the depth of the pond could be accounted for by piling dirt on the perimeter.

I don't have the land for this right now, but I am looking for a house and one of my dreams is a small fishing pond in the back yard.

Has anyone ever tried to make a pond of this size? How do you keep the water from going back into the ground ;-) I'm sure you would need a little more than a garden hose.

What kind of permits would you need to do this? Does the city care that you build a pond? I could see them being interested if there are any underground power lines, water maines, etc. near by.

What do you think? I'm not sure if this has ever been done or can be done.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Contact your game and fish department. They should have some guides for you. Corps of Engineers should be able to assist with all the permits you'd need for constructin, and likely have some structural guides as well. Lots of people develop ponds for variety of reasons--depending on what land you have available (along with water, of course, though many do fill with hoses and runoff from rain), you may be able to develop a wetland that would alos provide stop over spots for migratory water birds. There's lot of funding assistance for building good wetlands!

Snake Eyez

AC Members
Jun 14, 2004
Central Florida
Visit site
I recently bought a 4 acre property that has a small pond on it. It's around 30ft in diameter. Since I just bought the land I have to watch it to see how the water level is going to run before I go and dig it out. From what I've seen some people line the ponds with clay in order to decrease water loss. Others use plastic, but that gets pretty expensive.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
People do it out here in West Texas all the time. Stock tanks is what they are generally used for, but a lot of folks go right on and stock them with fish too. When I was a kid we used to swim in them. OG gave great advice. The CoEs can help you determine the best place for one based on runoff and the Game and Fisheries dept. usually have programs for stocking that you can enquire about. Depending on where you live, you could even find a spring and it could be your primary source. Good luck! Nothing like a private fishing hole. If I could get one deep enough I'd have more crappie in my freezer than you could shake a stick at.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
s to the city being concerned. I'd make very sure that it's not against local ordnances before you start digging. Also contact your local utility, phone company etc and make sure there are no gas or phone lines running through your back yard. You also want to make sure that you put in a fence like you'd have around a pool area clearly posted no trespassing!
A pond or in-ground pool is considered a nuisance on home owners policies and if you don't have it fenced your policy very likely would be non-renewed your policy also probably won't cover ANY claims related to the pond or other source of open water unless you inform your insurer and follow their guidelines. Having fish like blue gills, bass etc may also be a problem because some insurance companies will consider that farm use in a lot of instances and that might equate to a policy that won't meet your needs. In other words you could let anyone resident in your home use the pond or friends or neighbors if you don't charge and are there to surpervise.
Ponds are great though and you can look at lots of neat critters you'd never be able to house in a tank. I have two goldfish ponds and they are a wonderful relaxing thing but out HO3 poly had restrictions on size and depth. I check into it before you start digging and if you have questions about the insurance regs send me a p.m.
enjoy
Chris

FishKeeper-16

1977 Mustang Cobra
Sep 28, 2004
Wheelersburg Ohio, USA
Yes, call your local utility company to check for underground lines and can you use a plastic pond liner for the bottom? that way the water will be less murky?

ryknier

just tryin to make it fun
Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
we built a pond in our backyard 3 years ago, and my brothers friends always throws bullheads, 3 foot catfish and other fish in it, and those buggers live every year. But one thing you might want to consider is putting up a fence surrounding your yard, because if there are kids in the neighborhood, and one happens to drown, this all is just safety percautions, but they can't point fingers at you!!!

All I can say is that ever since we put a pond in our city backyard, we have had nature come to us, Birds of all sorts! and all sorts of small animals, that we love to watch and enjoy!!!

Good luck to you, I will try to get some pictures to post from my parents!

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
i read about making your own fishing pond in field and stream a few months back. seems great and if you can get a couple buddies to join in it shouldnt be too bad money or laborwise i mean you will be enjoying along wtih grandchildren if it gets done right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store