Breeding Convict's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Forum221

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Naperville, Il
Visit site
Hey,
I am new to breeding cichlids and i was hoping to breed a pair of convict cichlids. but i don't have any expierence with them. I have been reading alot about them lately but when I head to my LFS they never have any in so I have to look around for a pair of them. I was wondering if anyone was any good advice for me about breeding them. I have a cycled 20 long tank with a few carved rainbow rocks and some flat grey slate in it. It also has a few fake plants. I'm planning on adding some clay pots for the convicts to breed in. For filteration i have a Bio wheel 170 and and UnderGravel filter. I have the temp at about 82f. I was wondering if I have the right conditions and i would need some help on sexing. I think that the male are less colored and the famales have verticle stripes? Please all of the info on breeding and rasing the fry that you have.

Thanks

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
ok

As said with the name..they have black and white vertical bands on there body.."convicts" both sexs do. second..IMO..your gonna need more filtration then that for convicts.. third...they are CONSTANT breeders...wose then guppies almost..and they have 50-350 babies per litter...
Sexing
males have red on stomach...I think..ok I'm just gonna shut-up..I can't help with the sexing.
Anyways.. the tanks sounds fine for a pair..do you have any other fish in it? if you do..I'd take them out.
It sounds like i hate convicts..I don't I actually think there very pretty. but I don't like have that many babies that often..
as my LFS owner once said "I've had people dump buckets at my door and run...the buckets had baby convicts in them.."

Forum221

AC Members
Dec 19, 2002
Naperville, Il
Visit site
Why wouldnt a Bio Wheel 170 with a under gravel filter be enough for the fish. The box for the Bio Wheel said it was good enough for a 50gal tank. And I dont have any fish in the tank right now.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
is it JUST a bio-wheel..or does it have filter media..cuzyou need the mechanical filtratin and the chemical..(am I right bout that?) and boi-whell only cover..like it said..biological filtration

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
how about I field this one...I have a breeding pair that I"m looking at right now

your female will have red/orange/pink on her tummy

in my case, my male has longer dorsal fin than my female (I've heard this is not always the case) and my male has grown faster than my female since the time I bought them

when they had their babies in a 10g tank, I left both parents with them and they raised them VERY WELL

they are excellent, protective parents

make sure to provide them with a cave in which to lay their eggs, etc

edit: and more filtration was suggested to you due to the extremely messy nature of this fish...a lot of waste, and a lot of wasted food

Frameshift

Cookie Monster
Oct 22, 2001
Honolulu, HI
Ditch the UGF, it will cause nothing but problems. When convicts breed they like to dig little "holes" that they move the fry into. Many of the fry will get trapped underneath the UGF, and by digging it up it loses all of its uses.

You will be much better off without it, trust me.

Evil Dave

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
Mine just hatched a (fill in the appropriate word here: what do you call a batch of newly hatched fish? A school? A pack? I don't know). I am hoping they continue to do so, mainly because I have a plan for all those babies: free feeders.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store