does real wood = brown tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrmcmasty

Mark
Feb 8, 2005
VA
I bought a piece of welaby wood... looks cool but it has turned my water a tainted brown color... is this normal? will it go away? or os this just the affect real wood has on a tank?

Remmy

meow
Nov 16, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
its perfectly normal
the wood is leeching "tannins" which make the water go a brown tea colour
its actually good for the fish, gives them a sense of their natural habitat

how long will it leech for? depends on the type of wood and its size, could be a month, could be a year or more
if its a small piece, you could take it out and boil it in water several times, that should speed up the the realease process

Maj0rFiSh

L33t 5p34k m0f0!!11one
Jan 14, 2005
South Coast of UK
Bog, Mopani, drift Wood can leach for hundreds of years let alone a month....

Karnaaj

AC Members
Jan 7, 2005
Cincinnati, Oh
Ummm, I think wood will have decayed down to nothing well before your "hundreds of years".

Boil it if you can, that will help. You can also use carbon to take the discoloration out of the water, but be prepared to buy a lot of carbon.

I have a piece that is still leaching after six years. I have another piece that never leached at all and still other pieces that leached for a few months and then stopped. There doesn't seem to be any reliable way to predict how long it will go on.

Analog Saint

AC Members
Aug 25, 2004
Washington, DC
I added driftwood to a tank, and thought that I'd not like the look of the water-

believe me, you won't notice a difference unless the lights are off. When the lights are on, you couldn't tell the difference.

I put a substantial hunk of brand new driftwood in, but it hasn't had an adverse effect on my water clarity. I do biweekly changes, and seriously, the tint is only noticable when the lights are off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store